The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been keeping fish for a while now, but have never really explored planted aquariums, so naturally I have a couple of questions. First, my tap ph is around 8, so how do you suggest I bring it down (I have an RO unit so I can make RO water and do 50/50 with RO and tap for water changes). Also, what PH should I aim for if I'm simply going for the easiest to keep plants? Second, what light would you suggest for a 10 gallon? Would it be worth building my own? Lastly, would a home made yeast C02 unit work well?

Thanks much for your input.

P.S. Any extra general advice is greatly appreciated.

P.P.S. Is there a list of supplies you would suggest me getting to start out?

·
Registered
960 Posts
You could try a mix of half tap and half ro to bring it down. For a light I you could use a cheap incandescent fixture or full hood that is made for a 10 gallon. Then just replace the bulbs with cfl light bulbs. I'm using the same setup on my 10 gallon and the lights are either 13 or 15 watt I can't remember. I'm not a co2 expert, but I would think you'd get tired of mixing the yeast. Might want to look into a paintball co2 setup.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have been keeping fish for a while now, but have never really explored planted aquariums, so naturally I have a couple of questions. First, my tap ph is around 8, so how do you suggest I bring it down (I have an RO unit so I can make RO water and do 50/50 with RO and tap for water changes). Also, what PH should I aim for if I'm simply going for the easiest to keep plants? Second, what light would you suggest for a 10 gallon? Would it be worth building my own? Lastly, would a home made yeast C02 unit work well?

Thanks much for your input.

P.S. Any extra general advice is greatly appreciated.

P.P.S. Is there a list of supplies you would suggest me getting to start out?
Pretty sure you can bring down you pH by adding driftwood and almond leaves, downside it will give the water a tea color. I just aim for pH of 7, most plants and fish will do fine in neutral water.

I had a ten gallon kit with a hood that used incandescents mounted sideways. I replaced the incandescent bulbs with 13 watt 6500K spiral CFLs.

10 gallon tanks are a good size for the yeast CO2 or paintball CO2.

supplies:
tank, filter, filter media, light, heater, test kit, substrate, chlorine/chloramine remover, plants, fish food, small stainless steal scissors, forceps, items needed for choosen CO2 method,....I think about covers it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.