The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First planted nano tank I've ever done...

Equipment:
AGA 10 Gallon Tank w/ Glass Top
2x20W Lighting
AC70 w/ Dual Sponges
Hagen C02 w/ Ladder
AGA 50W Heater
Digital Thermo

Hardscape:
Lace Rock
Eco-Complete
Sand

Fish:
1 - Green Spotted Puffer

Flora:
2 - Tiger Lotus
1 - Anubias Coffeefolia
Bunches of C. Petchii

The set up had been cycling for about two weeks before I put the plants in. Few days after that was secured I added the puffer. I definitely plan to add more and I can't wait until everything grows in!

Pics:

Hardscape/Cycle

Anubias Coffeefolia

Look right past the big leaves...there's already some new lotus sprouting!

C. Petchii

Green Spotted Puffer

Overall View

Tips? Tricks? Recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
477 Posts
wow cool! i always wanted a green spot puffer! are they difficult to keep or need special water params?
just a tip i find with planted tanks, for best results do this:
hardscape
add just enough water to come level with substrate
plant
cycle with plants in (they eat up the ammonia)

but the way you did it is fine, cool little tank, would look great with more plants, and some wood, moss ect

·
Registered
246 Posts
Great start- I love puffers. I might advise adding some moss to the stones to help soften the look and give the impression of age. In addition, you could consider putting the lotus behind the hardscape to hide the leggyness, while still being able to view the beautiful leaves after it grows. After that, just explore! It looks like it could be a unique, interesting scape. Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
looking great, just one thing about the anubias. if u buried the rhizome (fleshy root stock which the leafs and roots grow out of), pull it out b/c itz gonna rot. u could either tie it to the rock or just bury the roots with the rhizome sitting on top of the substrate ^^

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
looks nice, but green spot puffers are not freshwater, exactly.
They are born in freshwater, but need to be moved to brackish, and then full marine enviroments as they grow, and unlike most brackish puffers, they are NOT tolerant of freshwater as adults. i would trade him for a few dwarf puffers, or something else.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Despite what many here seems to think, these fish are found in tributaries throughout Asia, and can be raised in either brackish OR fresh. Granted, they tend to do much better under brackish conditions (this is the only manner in which keepers were able to get them to spawn,) but they can live healthily in fresh water, as their natural territories often encompass it. These are, by definition, brackish fish, and they enjoy higher salinity levels, but If you use fresh, hard, alkaline water seems to suite them best. It is very likely that these fish have been raised in fresh water their whole lives and have been acclimated to it. Unless he's seeing obvious signs of stress in the fish, he doesn't need to worry. Perhaps later on he will decide to go brackish, but for the time being, the fish will be fine as it is. It's true that these fish can live in full salt, but they must be acclimated, and they just seem to prefer brackish environments.

Oh, and just to let you know, there are about 20 species of fresh water puffers that can be found in the industry. Most of them get outright humongous, but I imagine that more than just the dwarf puffer would do well for planded aquaria. Just my two cents...

Anyway, J-WS6, don't feel discouraged, and let us know how it goes. We don't really see many puffers around here, so keep us posted! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
not to change the subject too much, but...

everythign I've read about spotted puffers says brackish or they'll die. They're not brackish as fry since they start life in fresh water tributaries you mentioned. they move down toward brackish water as juvies and adults and need the salt to live as they get older in the aquarium. The congo puffer is a fresh water puffer that looks similar to the spotted puffer but is 100% fresh water.

I have no personal experience with the fish, but the literature says no no.

nice looking tank, I can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyway, J-WS6, don't feel discouraged, and let us know how it goes. We don't really see many puffers around here, so keep us posted! Good luck!!!
Thanks Agrippa. I worked at an exotic cichlid store for a few years and everytime we received these puffers we acclimated into fresh water, and they did terrific. However we noted that they could be put into brackish. I drip acclimated this guy for an hour before I placed him in my tank and he ate within 30 minutes of being in the tank! Not only that but he's doing wonderful. He's just as active as my Mbu and shows no signs of discomfort whatsoever.

but the literature says no no.
Being in the fish game for 3 years now I think any true hobbyist on here or anywhere else could agree that you can stretch the rules of literature. Never have any of my tanks always ended up the way literature says it would. Example, in my tanganyikan tank I've added many softer fish (geophagus, cyprochromis, etc.) after the tank had been well established with more aggressive/territorial ones (petrochromis trewavasae, tropheus duboisi) that I had started the tank off with originally. The tank does great and everyone gets along. I think it's truly testing your own limits based upon your own experience with each fish. Not only that, but regardless of what the subject is, do you believe EVERYTHING you read on the internet? Because I don't.

Anyway, I will continue to keep adding pictures and giving updates as I add more plants in the near future. Thanks for all of your interests!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
i agree, the rules can be "bent", but this is a little much. i have heard that the GSP is a full marine fish as an adult, only enrering freshwater to lay eggs.
They can be kept full term in brackish, but they pften don't do too well as an adult in it. in freshwater, not only can their life expectancy be drastically shortened, but they even become more aggressive.
Even if it is ok to keep it in freshwater, a 10 gallon is way too small, i'd consider a 29g. for the fish. It gets rather large compared to dwarf and fig.8 puffers, which are common in 10 gallon tanks.

the congo, Mbu, figu(fugu?), and brazilian puffer are some of the bigger freshwater puffers, while the fig. 8, GSP, pig nose, red eye, avacado, and more are brackish.

the dwarf puffer seems to be the only puffer that will not benefit from brackish or slightly brackish water.

anyway, whatever you do with the fish, keep up the nice planted tank.

·
Registered
93 Posts
they are ok in fresh while they are young.. but they do require brackish water as they get larger, that puffer also requires more then a 10 gallon... so its one thing to say it will live in fresh water, but it will not live as long or as healthy. it would be like you showering in salt water everyday, youd be clean but your skin sure wouldnt be healthy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.