The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my CO2 about three weeks ago, very slowly ramped it up to where I am now with zero affect on my 20 fish. I have had 5 Madagascar rainbows in quarantine for two weeks and am in the process of introducing them into my 150. After slowly adding tank water to the bag as they floated for an hour I released one into the tank. He immediately went to the surface and is gasping for air. I have not released the other 4 into the tank until I observe the first one for a while and see if he acclimates. I have a hard time believing that this normal acclimation behavior on a CO2 tank. Do I have my CO2 too high even though the other fish have never shown even the slightest sign of CO2 poisoning?

My drop checker stays a greenish yellow, slightly more green I would say. I have a sump and dual overflow so the CO2 pumps in at a very high rate to keep up. Pre-C02 pH was 8.25 per AquaController and now stays in the 6.60 range. Tank has a high flow rate.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new fish isn't use to the co2 level.
Pouring water into the fish bag isn't going to do anything.
That is simply to introduce them to different water than they are used to. The fact that the tank has CO2 being injected into it has nothing to do with it. I do that whenever I introduce a fish to a new tank to ease some of the stress of the sudden water parameters change.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You need to lower your co2 levels when introducing new livestock. After you aclimatize them to the water parameters, slowly raise the co2 levels back to where you want them. This will allow the livestock to become used to the co2 levels.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I got the same issue. Some fatalities also because I didn't realized my fish got used to the CO2 levels in my tank.

Recently I got 5 SAE to do battle with BBA and I did drip acclimate them. As long as you don't stir the water too much, the CO2 will be there. It took 3-4 hours and after that the fish were still confused and gasping for air when I put them in the main tank but they were ok. No casualties.

I used a perfusion kit which also has a flow regulator. Put the fish in a temporary holding casserole of 5L and started the drip. In 10 minutes they were clamoring for air.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a 60% water change this morning, acclimated for 30 minutes and in the five of them went. They have now been in the tank for 3 1/2 hours. A little heavy breathing for the first couple of hours but they never even thought about going to the surface. They are cruising the tank now and eating as the CO2 level is slowly on the rise again.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.