The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

after some study, I finally put together my first planted tank intented to sit on my office desk.

Specs:
Tank: 20l / 5 gallon Dennerle nano cube
Filter: internal Dennerle Eckfilter 150l/h
Light: Chihiros C2 - 15W / 1600 lm, currently set at 40%, 6 hours / day (I wanted to go stronger, to be ready for potential CO2 injection and to be honest, i like this minimalistic design)
Soil: Locally available japanese Aquasoil similar to ADA Amazonia, but not that nutrient packed
Wood: Red moor wood
Rock: Black lava rock (the white one on the photo is just to weigh down the red moor wood - its already getting waterlogged, so i will remove the rock in the following days)

Plants:
Rotala rotundifolia
Cryptocorne wendtii
Sagitaria subulata
Staurogyne repens
Monte carlo
Anubias nana mini
Anubias nana bonsai

The tank has been setup at 29. 12. Since then, I performed two 50% water changes, dosed Seachem Stability per instructions and after last water change I have addded underdosed Seachem Flourish. To the water for waterchanges I always added Seachem Prime.

The plan is to have a nice planted tank maybe with some cherry shrimp and a single betta (I know that they may not get that well along, but I want to try - I will add them only after the cycle is finished as first live critters so I hope that the plants will provide them a nice cover by then), potentially a neritina snail.

As this is really my first tank, can you give me some advice or honest opinions, if this may work as planned/set up? Especially with the lighting intensity / nutrients and livestock (im looking for a fine balance - therefore i want to add shrimps / snail as algae eaters). Im also looking in a way to boost the tank growth - Im currently looking in either Excel or CO2 dosing via NEO CO2 kit (yeast based, should run for est. 50 days - for 20€ it is a nice way to test its effects).

Thanks a lot!

https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/6b15d2b3-932d-4dd1-bdfb-96fb8e876b56
https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/9fcdb3f4-618a-47ff-af5a-3e7b2c297945
https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/8c6a9477-a621-4c3c-ae54-54525d31872b

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi,

after some study, I finally put together my first planted tank intented to sit on my office desk.

Specs:
Tank: 20l / 5 gallon Dennerle nano cube
Filter: internal Dennerle Eckfilter 150l/h
Light: Chihiros C2 - 15W / 1600 lm, currently set at 40%, 6 hours / day (I wanted to go stronger, to be ready for potential CO2 injection and to be honest, i like this minimalistic design)
Soil: Locally available japanese Aquasoil similar to ADA Amazonia, but not that nutrient packed
Wood: Red moor wood
Rock: Black lava rock (the white one on the photo is just to weigh down the red moor wood - its already getting waterlogged, so i will remove the rock in the following days)

Plants:
Rotala rotundifolia
Cryptocorne wendtii
Sagitaria subulata
Staurogyne repens
Monte carlo
Anubias nana mini
Anubias nana bonsai

The tank has been setup at 29. 12. Since then, I performed two 50% water changes, dosed Seachem Stability per instructions and after last water change I have addded underdosed Seachem Flourish. To the water for waterchanges I always added Seachem Prime.

The plan is to have a nice planted tank maybe with some cherry shrimp and a single betta (I know that they may not get that well along, but I want to try - I will add them only after the cycle is finished as first live critters so I hope that the plants will provide them a nice cover by then), potentially a neritina snail.

As this is really my first tank, can you give me some advice or honest opinions, if this may work as planned/set up? Especially with the lighting intensity / nutrients and livestock (im looking for a fine balance - therefore i want to add shrimps / snail as algae eaters). Im also looking in a way to boost the tank growth - Im currently looking in either Excel or CO2 dosing via NEO CO2 kit (yeast based, should run for est. 50 days - for 20€ it is a nice way to test its effects).

Thanks a lot!

https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/6b15d2b3-932d-4dd1-bdfb-96fb8e876b56
https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/9fcdb3f4-618a-47ff-af5a-3e7b2c297945
https://app.photobucket.com/u/uctovnik23/p/8c6a9477-a621-4c3c-ae54-54525d31872b

In reply to running co2 from yeast base, personally I’d go straight to pressurised, I did on my 30L & it’s the best thing I did to that tank. Once you buy a little set up (I bought a “nano” set up for £70) I got 1.5kg co2 for £16, it’s lasted 6 months so far & still half to go I’d say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your feedback - I personally think that I will be hooked on the CO2, since I like to grow plants fast and dont mind the mainetance. May I ask, what set do you have? Is it some brand set or could you maybe share some details? Thanks!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks a lot for your feedback - I personally think that I will be hooked on the CO2, since I like to grow plants fast and dont mind the mainetance. May I ask, what set do you have? Is it some brand set or could you maybe share some details? Thanks!

I got mine from a company called Co2Supermarket, I know others use Co2art. I’ve had no problems at all with my equipment.

You can buy a kit of everything needed but to be honest I didn’t bother. I bought the regulator & solenoid for £71, then I got the drop checker, fluid, bubble counter & line from my LFS & then co2 from a gas supplier, had to pay £30 deposit on the canister but I’ll get it back whenever I return it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Your Photobucket is set to private, so cannot view the pictures. The NEO one is something I want to try as I've tried DIY before, but NEO seem so much more easier to mix, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.