The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm very new to this forum. As a matter a fact I'm new to keep actually planted aquariums. I have a 75 gallon south American cichlid tank at the head of my bed, lightly planted 55gal community tank and a 10 gal. I'm planing on a 2.5 or maybe a 5.5 planted tank but I've been confronted with a few problems. First one is I don't want to sPend 20$ on substrate if I'm only using a little bit of it. I'm only 16 and don't have cash burning through my pockets. Second is I don't know what to do for a filter or I'd I need one. Lastly if you have a suggestion for plants that would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
2.5g Tank -- $10-15
5lb CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand -- $4-8
Red Sea Nano Filter
-- $10-18
Fluval Edge PreFilter Sponge -- $3
DIY yeast co2 -- $5
Light -- $5-20

Just a small breakdown of what you could be looking at to spend. Low tech is the way to go IMO if you want to stay on the cheaper side. For plants, look at the swap&shop of our forum. You will find deals that are alot cheaper than what your petstore could offer. As for plants, here's a list of my favorite ones:
- Moss [Fissidens looks best and cleanest IMO]
- Java fern [trident, philippine, windelov]
- Crypts
- Blyxa
- Anubias nana

Blyxa and depending on what crypt you get, are the most demanding out of the list. The rest are your typical low tech tank list.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could throw some anacharis in there too... that stuff will grow with the lights out and its readily available at most petsmart's and petco's. When it gets too tall, just cut it in half and replant the tops. 4-5 stems is like $2.50 I think.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
If you want easy I would definitely go with java moss, java fern and the anubias nana for a 2.5g. With those you won't really have to worry about a super rich substrate.

I would have to agree with these suggestions for easy to start with plants in a small tank. By the way it's good to see a couple of new people from Nebraska on this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sand would be an okay bottom? What should i do about fertalizers. I was also thinking about maybe a carpet of some sort. What types of plants would make a good carpet without co2. Also of it is completely necessary I could make a DIY co2. Lastly and possibly a little off topic how do people get java moss to grow so it looks really nice and layered. Mine just grows in knots wherever I put it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A carpeting plant might be a little hard for a a low light no co2 setup. You could tie the java moss to slate and let it come through a netting to simulate a carpet plant. If you do want a carpet, maybe use flame moss instead of java since it grows straight up. I don't know the requirements for flame moss though so you might want to look up what it all needs. You could also try riccia for a carpet. I have it growing as a type of foreground plant in a .9 gallon tank with a 13w cfl.Also The pic as my avatar and profile pic are a 2.5g and it just shows you that even though it is a small space, you can do a lot with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.