The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
That looks nice... good luck. What kind of lights? Did you make that reactor?

·
Registered
38 Posts
More details please! Did you make that reactor? Or buy it? How much did you drop on it? I'm interested in going pressurized but not ready to spend the money lol, Looks awesome!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The reactor is a Carbon Doser EXT5000, there is some info and pricing on aquariumplants.com for it. The lights are a 150 watt 6500k metal halide and a 100 watt LED strip by Green Element.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coasty I got extremely lucky on the CO2 setup, bought it from a friend who got into saltwater, I got the 5lb cylinder, Reactor, Carbon Doser regulator, and a PH controller for $150. The regulator alone goes for almost 300 new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lighting? im about to set up a planted 75. also do you think co2 is necessary for amazon swords, java fern, rotala indica? is aqua soil necessary for those types of plants?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
These photos where taken last night with only the LED strip running so kinda dim, will get some better ones this evening. I wasn't real thrilled with the micro sword but it was available when I set up so went with it. Started replacing it last night with some Staurogyne repens and added some Telanthera Cardinalis. This is day 24 on this tank.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s512/steve_english1/Day24 1_zpsg6q6zqwz.jpg?t=1457460237

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/s512/steve_english1/Day24 2_zpsauww6dtm.jpg?t=1457460237

Bump: Also added more airplants, decorative wood, and dried moss to the top of tank on Day 24.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 days growth

Day 3 of the fresh planting of Staurogyne repens that is replacing the micro sword on left side of tank. I got these in the grow gel packs from Pets Mart, and in only 3 days they are looking really good!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tank Specs

Tank: 75 gallon with no center brace

Lighting: 150 watt Metal Halide with 6500k bulb and a 100 watt LED strip all the way to front of tank for carpeting plants.

CO2: Carbon Doser Electronic Regulator, Carbon Doser EXT5000 reaction chamber, Milwaukee MC 122 PH controller, 5lb Cylinder.

Filtration and Circulation: Marineland C220 canister filter, Tetra 10 gallon internal filter, 3 Korilia nano circulation pumps.

Currently doing PPS Pro dosing with a half dose of Excel daily

Current Fish: 2 Gold Angels, 6 O cats, 3 SAE, 8 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Cory Cats.

Currently running LED 7 hours daily and Metal Halide 6 hours daily.

I use the small internal filter to run my purigen and make it easy to swap out and recharge the saturated one.

Any tips and suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My First Moss!

Got my first mosses in the mail yesterday from forum member Adrand and got them attached. I got Christmas and Java moss, but the portion of Christmas moss was quite a large portion, and looked so good after starting to glue it in I decided not to even use the Java Moss. I must say that the Christmas Moss is very easy to attach using superglue, but was expecting to find pieces floating everywhere this morning. To my surprise every bit stayed right where I put it last night! (knocks on wood).

My water is a bit hazy from added clarifier to clear it up. My first rookie mistake was to not rinse the floramax I used under the eco complete...arghhhhhh.. Hopefully keeping planted tanks will help me with my patience!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Day 33 Full View

Pic from this morning with LED strip only, Halide is off. Except for my Hazy water happy with progress for the first month.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 39

Water has just a bit of haze left after some Accurel F and xtra filter material in the canister. Will have some Limnophila hippuridoides to add tomorrow from another forum member!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
High Tech Lighting! HaHa

Back left corner of my tank is shielded from any light, by the driftwood that extends up out of the tank. Wanting to plant some stem plants to grow behind the wood and hide heater and small internal filter. As a quick temporary solution I installed a super deluxe K-1000000 jigawatt mesmerizing light on a special German made light hanger.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Day 42 with Limnophila hippuridoides added.

Really enjoying getting my plants from other forum members! Helps put a little $ in their pocket and I just walk to the mailbox for my plants now! So here is the Limnophila hippuridoides that just arrived, obviously cuttings and can't wait for these to grow in.

Right side

Left Side

Full View Day 42

One more of my baby Green Ocelot!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Tank looks great. Think I'm going to try your co2 reactor in my new build I started, long way off from getting plants though. Cheers

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2 Month Update

Just 3 days past the 2 month point and must say really enjoying my tank! I pretty much have it set on auto pilot now, and am happy with growth rate and light duration. I brought my PH to 6.7 on my controller and have the light at 8 hours a day.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am VERY interested in this build, because it's SO close to what I am building. I've the same regulator and reactor, am using an Ecoxotic LED 120 unit, 75 gallon with centerbar, 2 Eheim 2217 with standard Eheim media and 2 100 mg bags Puringen in them. I am using a AM Pinpoint controller, but pretty much the same. Eco complete substrate......still need to get more circulation with pumps. Now, questions:
1. How long did it take to get your CO2 lined out?
2. Any early algae issues?
3. Manually dose, or use a pump?
4. Rough average time for maintenance per week?
5. What do you wish you had done when starting, but didn't do?
6. What was the best thing you had done?

I start mine up in 2-3 weeks after vacation, so, am quite curious!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am VERY interested in this build, because it's SO close to what I am building. I've the same regulator and reactor, am using an Ecoxotic LED 120 unit, 75 gallon with centerbar, 2 Eheim 2217 with standard Eheim media and 2 100 mg bags Puringen in them. I am using a AM Pinpoint controller, but pretty much the same. Eco complete substrate......still need to get more circulation with pumps. Now, questions:
1. How long did it take to get your CO2 lined out?
2. Any early algae issues?
3. Manually dose, or use a pump?
4. Rough average time for maintenance per week?
5. What do you wish you had done when starting, but didn't do?
6. What was the best thing you had done?

I start mine up in 2-3 weeks after vacation, so, am quite curious!
1. With the reactor and controller the CO2 couldn't be any easier! I started my set point at 7.0 and left it there for the first month. I reduced it in .1 increments over a week to 6.7 and that is where I plan on leaving it. Could I go lower and get faster plant growth, yes but personally I am happy with where it's at.
2. Of course I had early algae issues, every new tank does. I had the usual dusting of brown diatoms, and a small bit of hair and assorted other algae at about the 3 to 4 week point. Since the tank was still cycling I had no clean up crew to combat this. I also was running my lights more than I should because I liked looking at my tank! I have almost 300 watts on this tank and was running the lights about 6 hours a day during the start up...oooops. Once the cleanup crew was added it took about a week and all was good.
3. I manually dose using PPS Pro method and often just skip dosing on the weekends.
4. I spend 30 minutes a week on maintenance and thats it. I do a water change anywhere from 20 to 50% depending on what I feel like doing! I use a very small siphon tube so the water drains slowly and do any trimming or rearranging while the water is draining.
5. This one is easy, I used two bags of Flourite underneath 3 bags of Eco Complete and did not rinse the Flourite. I literally trickled water into the tank on filling as to not disturb the substrate. Didn't matter my water was cloudy and had particles from the Flourite for almost 5 weeks.
6. The best thing I did was acquiring all the hardscape and arrange it over and over until I had it just perfect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts