The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trimming the java fern and I spotted 2 tiny fry, I dont hold out much hope for them but at least I know they will spawn in the conditions I have provided and can hopefully setup a small tank to breed them specifically :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem man

ph - 7.2-7.4
GH and KH very low (below 50ppm)
Temp 25°C

Tank is an 8gal planted nano with lots of java moss.Other tank imhabitants are shrimp, trumpet snails, ottos and dwarf corys.Contains 8 adult galaxy(well I didnt think they would sexually mature but they have proved me wrong).I feed the adults on microworms and flake.

Heres a few pics of their tank.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Spectacular!!
This gives me some good info to go on. I was worried I'd have to adjust my PH down to 5.5 (read that somewhere) to get them to start breeding. It seems tho they are a hearty fish with some range of acceptable breeding conditions.
What kid of shrimp do you have them with? My 2nd concern with breeing these was that my nano that was intended for them also has RCS. I was worried they would eat the eggs.

one other thing out of your group of 8 whats your M/F ratio?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shrimp are RCS, rainbow and amano although I plan on removing the amanos just in case.

I would say I have 5 males to 3 females but I cant be sure as some of the smaller ones could be either.I defo have 2 dominant males that often display to each other by swimming in circles.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 5gal tank for breeding a conditioned pair in.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Congrats ~T~. This is the first time I've heard of these guys breeding in a home aquarium. Nice to know that something so new to the hobby is breeding so readily at home.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The shrimp are RCS, rainbow and amano although I plan on removing the amanos just in case.

I would say I have 5 males to 3 females but I cant be sure as some of the smaller ones could be either.I defo have 2 dominant males that often display to each other by swimming in circles.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a 5gal tank for breeding a conditioned pair in.
So tell me what kind of courting habbits do they have? I think I spied mine in a mating dance of sorts. But only having exp breeding cichlids what I was seeing may not apply to breeding.
Does the male to a little "shake his fins dance" at the females?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would say its just the usual danio display.Males will swim round and round each other with fins spread trying to out do each other.I have seem males chasing females but no actual courtship.

·
Registered
234 Posts
there name was changed to "celestial danios" correct?

·
Registered
234 Posts
alright just checking, and its official like the have done the study and what not?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually spied 3 fry in my 5.5 gallon tank of celestials about a week ago. Today I saw another two. So I've got 5 fry so far. I have 6 adults in the tank, I'm unsure of the m/f ratio as they break cover rarely and never all at once. But I *think* it's 2m/4f. As for conditions, my temp stays around 76-78, my KH is high at 12 or so and my pH is also high, around 8.2 out of tap, I'm not sure if it's changed by dosing Seachem ferts and Excel or not. I'd have to retest. I don't do or feed anything special. In fact I probably cater more to the plants than the fish. I feed Hikari Micro Pellets, or First Bites or the occasional meal of frozen daphnia or BBS and do a 10% weekly water change. I put in a bit of java moss probably two weeks ago I'm guessing that sparked the spawning behavior. So far the fry have been fine, the adults rarely go more than 1/3 of the way up the tank and the fry stay in the top 1/3. I can tell they are growing, as they aren't all the same size. I tried feeding a bit of frozen BBS today and it's hard to tell if they are big enough to eat them or not, but I figure I'll keep feeding those smaller foods in case they are eating a bit. They must eat something if they've survived a week so far. So there you have my experience with breeding so far. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually spied 3 fry in my 5.5 gallon tank of celestials about a week ago. Today I saw another two. So I've got 5 fry so far. I have 6 adults in the tank, I'm unsure of the m/f ratio as they break cover rarely and never all at once. But I *think* it's 2m/4f. As for conditions, my temp stays around 76-78, my KH is high at 12 or so and my pH is also high, around 8.2 out of tap, I'm not sure if it's changed by dosing Seachem ferts and Excel or not. I'd have to retest. I don't do or feed anything special. In fact I probably cater more to the plants than the fish. I feed Hikari Micro Pellets, or First Bites or the occasional meal of frozen daphnia or BBS and do a 10% weekly water change. I put in a bit of java moss probably two weeks ago I'm guessing that sparked the spawning behavior. So far the fry have been fine, the adults rarely go more than 1/3 of the way up the tank and the fry stay in the top 1/3. I can tell they are growing, as they aren't all the same size. I tried feeding a bit of frozen BBS today and it's hard to tell if they are big enough to eat them or not, but I figure I'll keep feeding those smaller foods in case they are eating a bit. They must eat something if they've survived a week so far. So there you have my experience with breeding so far. :)
Thats really cool.Wonder how yours are so shy, mine not only dont bother me watching them but will even nip at my hand when I have it in the tank.They dont seem to have any fear at all.Mine also swim all levels and I have seen them picking at stuff under the floating plants that im assuming are fry.Its good to know they will breed in such different water ranges.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
first, i would like to say- congrats.
but second- Please, please do all you can to save the offspring. if you didn't know, the wild habitat they come from is all but destroyed, so it is now, IMHO, up to hobbyists to replinich the hobby's supply, and maybe help bring up populations in the wild.

BTW, i vote they use the name galaxy danio, since everyone knows them as galaxies already!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts