The Planted Tank Forum banner

first fish

795 9
hey guys,

my 65 gallon tank is almost a week old and I am excited to finally get my first fish / fishies / crabs / shrimps.

Any suggestions on what I should get first?

should I go with bottom feeders like corys? or bottom feeders like crabs and shrimps? if so which and how many?

or should I maybe go with livebearers ? which ones would be good to start with? and also how many of them do i get?

I ultimately want cichlids and angel fish in the long run. (are they good together?)

i am open to suggestions and if you can specify what other fish you would get with your first fish that would be awesome.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
I am still learning this hobby as well, but I think I remember that angels like soft water, while cichlids prefer hard water. Additionally, some cichlids are known for aggression, and would kill the angels in no time.

I like to have a mixed clean-up crew, with otos as my favorite, but I have a hard time finding them in my area, and they can be delicate. Different crew members take care of different types of debris/algae, so a mix of snails (nerites), shrimp, and bottom feeders tends to work well. You may want to choose your main fish first, though, as a lot of pretty fish love to eat shrimp.

I would suggest looking at your water parameters and looking for one "main" type of fish you like to look at that is comfortable in the type of water you have. Once you have a nice selection of that main fish (numbers depend on type of fish you choose), then look at what other livestock is recommended as a companion to that fish.

Slow and steady.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Angels are ok with planted, as are some dwarf cichlids. But i believe many SA or African cichlids will either eat or up root your plants. Pays to google 'fish that can live in a planted tank'. Better to find out on the internet then come home to a destroyed tank.
As someone said above, pick your main fish and then look for other fish that can live comfortably with them and not destroy your plants.
I am currently in the process of acquiring all my gear for a 120g planted.
My fish choice is angels(6), lemon tetras(20), sterbai corys(6 to start but probably double that in the end), and a few german rams.
From my research all these are ok together.
Anyway hope this helps abit.
Cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
angelfish are cichlids. The are 2 main groups of cichlids:
1-south american. E.g. angels, ramirezi,... These are from soft water and most do not eat plants. The dwarf ones and angels are compatible. Big ones like an oscar will likely kill and destroy everything.
2-african. Mbuna-type, peacocks,... These are from very hard water and some are herbivores and will eat every plant (maybe anubias and ferns can survive). These are usually aggressive and kept in a tank with similar sized fish of similar temperament.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input :)

We have now put in more plants, just got them today and planted them right away cuz we excited.

I also got marimo moss balls for my tank, they are currently in quarantine, in a week i will add them to the tank.

I did not know angels were cichlids :O

I think I am gonna go with angels as main

do i get a pair? can I go straight into angels as my first fish?

That is given I have my tank cycled and is at the right temp (currently 78.4F)

I like the idea of clean up crew, i want corys.

how many can I have in a 65 gallon and also do they get along with crabs or crawfish?

I saw in forum some people say it works but some people in store tells me them will just become snacks.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your tank is only a week old it's not cycled yet so I would hold off the more fragile and or expensive fish. I would pick a few cories or dither fish ( other smaller fish that will get along with the angels) like the more docile of the tetras. Nothing nippy like barbs etc.

I know starting a new tank is pretty exciting but in the long term is pays off to do your research first, pick your fish beforehand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.