The Planted Tank Forum banner

first fish

1063 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Deanna
hey guys,

my 65 gallon tank is almost a week old and I am excited to finally get my first fish / fishies / crabs / shrimps.

Any suggestions on what I should get first?

should I go with bottom feeders like corys? or bottom feeders like crabs and shrimps? if so which and how many?

or should I maybe go with livebearers ? which ones would be good to start with? and also how many of them do i get?

I ultimately want cichlids and angel fish in the long run. (are they good together?)

i am open to suggestions and if you can specify what other fish you would get with your first fish that would be awesome.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Not the cories. They need a mature tank that has been cycled for some time IMO..
Livebearers like swordtails sound good as they can be inexpensive and are fairly hardy in 'new 'tanks..

· Registered
1,431 Posts
They should get along. Angels are not always nice fish period..Male sword tails are hard on other males so the m/f ratio is important.I would not have more then one male unless you could get three or more to distribute the beatings...
If the tank is cycled you should be able to stock them first also.

· Registered
32 Posts
I’ve had success keeping angels with many tetras and dwarf SA cichlids like Apistogramma and microeophagus. I would not attempt them with African species, what most people mean when they simply say “cichlids”.

Angels can be anything but though, and often get nasty at night so do keep an eye on them and don’t stock anything too small.

I’ve heard mature Amano Shrimp are safe with them, and soon I’m going to test this idea out. Ghost shrimp however are not.

I’ve got neons with my current pair, and this school is fine, but I’ve had angels in the past that would pick them off at night, so I would say nothing smaller than neons to be on the safe side.

Keep in mind too those long beautiful fins are often targets for fast moving fin nippers, like barbs.

I’d be Leary of crabs with them in case the crabs snap at those fins too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We want danios and hatchets for small fish,

angels for medium size

and a clean up crew of cory cats and maybe crawfish or crabs

what do you guys think ?

btw i planted new plants and got another piece of decor to create a canal between the new and old one so fishes can swim threw!!! check it out :)

Attachments

· Registered
2,602 Posts
There is no such thing as small or medium angels. They all grow up to be big. So pretty, but also so nasty. Same with cichlids which, IME, which will spend most of their lives ripping up your plants.

Try to fill out the different levels (top, middle, bottom) of your tank. Hatchets are active and stay at the top. Zebras are very active and stay near the top. Harlequin Rasboras - hardy mid-tank swimmers. White Clouds - hardy and very active top/middle-tank swimmers. Glowlight Tetras - Hardy and low-tank swimmers (like neons and cardinals). Head & Tail Light Tetra - Hardy (a little larger). Black mollies add a nice contrasting color and any live bearer.

I’ve successfully added Cory’s in the beginning, as they will clean-up the unused food. Certain dwarf gouramis can be very colorful and mildly aggressive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.