The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked at the tank today and saw this. What am I seeing? And now I might be seeing some curling on my Ludwigia.

Water change was last Tuesday, and I lowered CSMB from .63 to .48.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've found here, curling could be a lack of Mg, but from my reading, it seems like I'm dosing enough. I do only add Ca/Mg to source water. Then change out 50% on water change day.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've found here, curling could be a lack of Mg, but from my reading, it seems like I'm dosing enough. I do only add Ca/Mg to source water. Then change out 50% on water change day.
It could be Magnesium, but it could be not enough or too much. I see you are dosing Mg so possible you have too much? Another reason why Mg could have accumulated is because your tap water might have high Mg content? Do you know what's in your tap water?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could be Magnesium, but it could be not enough or too much. I see you are dosing Mg so possible you have too much? Another reason why Mg could have accumulated is because your tap water might have high Mg content? Do you know what's in your tap water?
I use RO/DI, and use MgSO4.7H2O to raise source water to 8ppm Mg.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Interesting. If it is fert related, I'm going to go along with @vanostav61 on the Mg possibility. I would tend to say you are overdosing it and interfering with the uptake of K and Ca, as the symptoms seem to show a little of each. You might want to go to the lowest Mg ratio (4:1 Ca:Mg) and see if it makes a difference. I can't quite tell if it's an immobile or mobile issue. Are the problems on new growth or old growth, or both?

To me, your traces look pretty heavy, as well,except iron. The accumulation effect might surprise you. I'd cut those in half.

With each change, do three 50% water changes every other day and see how things look in 2-3 weeks. Whatever you decide, just do one change at a time. I'd start with the Mg reduction

Reactions: vanostav61

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. If it is fert related, I'm going to go along with @vanostav61 on the Mg possibility. I would tend to say you are overdosing it and interfering with the uptake of K and Ca, as the symptoms seem to show a little of each. You might want to go to the lowest Mg ratio (4:1 Ca:Mg) and see if it makes a difference. I can't quite tell if it's an immobile or mobile issue. Are the problems on new growth or old growth, or both?

To me, your traces look pretty heavy, as well,except iron. The accumulation effect might surprise you. I'd cut those in half.

With each change, do three 50% water changes every other day and see how things look in 2-3 weeks. Whatever you decide, just do one change at a time. I'd start with the Mg reduction
Just on the new growth. Could I do a 90% water change versus the 3 50's?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
OK, that points to strong Ca involvement and still some K activity (although plant s/b able to pull it from older growth - maybe can't get enough). Traces may also be involved on the toxic side. I'd try the suggestions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, that points to strong Ca involvement and still some K activity (although plant s/b able to pull it from older growth - maybe can't get enough). Traces may also be involved on the toxic side. I'd try the suggestions.
I would never have guessed too much Mg. I was thinking about raising it! Ha, this hobby is sneaky.
I was dosing .63PPM Fe(proxy) just last week. I reduced it to the .48 just last Tuesday. I ordered DPTA 11%Fe to add to the CSMB, Burr suggested .4 CSMB and .2 DTPA, which coincides with your suggestion.
4:1 @4dGH incoming, fingers crossed!

I think I made a mistake. I was using Greggz template and assumed his types of Micros were the same as Plantex CSMB. GLA is only showing Cu or Zn, it doesn't show the actual compound. I'm wondering if this makes a difference, or the total for each nutrient is all that's important?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I think I made a mistake. I was using Greggz template and assumed his types of Micros were the same as Plantex CSMB. GLA is only showing Cu or Zn, it doesn't show the actual compound. I'm wondering if this makes a difference, or the total for each nutrient is all that's important?
We'll have to let @Greggz comment on his choices. However, there are differences in how the trace metals vary. When we talk about mixing our own, they are mainly non-chelated, whereas the likes of CSM+B are chelated. As a result, there are uptake differences. Making it even more complicated is the variability from one tank to another. Nutrients are taken-up at different rates as a function of pH, plant mass, nutrient interactions (a la Mulder's chart), light, CO2, and the list goes on.

After doing the three water changes, and then introducing your changed Mg and trace dosing, beware false positives. You could get improvement by virtue of the reset from the w/c's. Hopefully, you will see an improvement. In that case, it would indicate that we are on the right track. You will then have to be alert to see if a decline takes place over several months, which would indicate an unfavorable build-up of one or more nutrients. Ideally, the 50% weekly w/c's will keep this under control.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We'll have to let @Greggz comment on his choices. However, there are differences in how the trace metals vary. When we talk about mixing our own, they are mainly non-chelated, whereas the likes of CSM+B are chelated. As a result, there are uptake differences. Making it even more complicated is the variability from one tank to another. Nutrients are taken-up at different rates as a function of pH, plant mass, nutrient interactions (a la Mulder's chart), light, CO2, and the list goes on.

After doing the three water changes, and then introducing your changed Mg and trace dosing, beware false positives. You could get improvement by virtue of the reset from the w/c's. Hopefully, you will see an improvement. In that case, it would indicate that we are on the right track. You will then have to be alert to see if a decline takes place over several months, which would indicate an unfavorable build-up of one or more nutrients. Ideally, the 50% weekly w/c's will keep this under control.
Awesome, thank you! My tank is not possible with out all of you! I've been cheating my way to a decent tank. You, Greggz, Burr and Immortal have been at the core of my semi successful tank!
It's been one heck of a road, so many speed bumps to manage and now this one. Here's the tank just a few days ago.
Plant Plant community Flower Water Lighting

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
No my mix is not the same as CSM+B. I use DTPA and Fe Gluconate and the amounts of everything are all different.

And nice tank you have going there. Looks like an awful going right! Well done and keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
If you are using RODI like in the spreadsheet but only providing 16ppm calcium weekly this might be the problem. I would bump the total hardness to at least 6-8 GH I don't think the ratio of Ca:Mg is that critical so long as Mg is not in excess of Ca. That's just my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts