The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have everything I need for a 10 gallon tank just laying around the house. 15watt fluorescent tube, tank, kitty litter substrate, and plants. I've been reading up on emmersed setups lately, and I wanted to try my hand at it.

Water Green Wood Plant Table

Where the tank will sit when finished.

Shelving Wood Shelf Table Display case

The tank and light.

Rectangle Material property Eyewear Wood Box

Plastic wrap to hold in humidity.

Bag Luggage and bags Font Electric blue Fashion accessory

The substrate.

Font Material property Gas Circle Label

100% clay kitty litter.

Window Flooring Floor Wood Gas

After adding kitty litter and water(from an established tank)

More to come. Input appreciated.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Plant list.

Anubias Barteri var. nana
Anubias Barteri var. marble
Cyperus Helferi
Riccia Fluitans
Marsilea Hirsuta (water clover)
Hydrocotyle sp. (Brazilian Pennywort.

Anyone know if dwarf baby tears will grow emmersed?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like a good start. I would drop the water level significantly though, standing water is no good with emersed plants IMO. Is this strictly for emersed growing plants to transfer to another tank, or is this a dry start tank? Also, dwarf baby tears grow well emersed.

I don't know if the kitty litter with tank water will provide enough nutrients, but I could be wrong. My emersed setup has only been going for a couple months now, so I don't have a lot of experience with it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Riccia that I want to "float" in the pool there. Would the Riccia do okay with nothing more than wet soil.

Also, this is basically a grow out tank for plants that I want to propagate into other tanks as well as sell/trade any extra that might come from this. But that's if the whole thing works at all.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have Riccia that I want to "float" in the pool there. Would the Riccia do okay with nothing more than wet soil?

I'm not sure if it would be ok just with wet soil. The riccia in my tank grows so fast that I've never tried to to emmerse it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure if it would be ok just with wet soil. The riccia in my tank grows so fast that I've never tried to to emmerse it.
After a quick search to confirm what I was certain I had read before, Riccia will grow just fine emersed as long as it is kept in a damp, humid environment. Which is why I am covering the top of the tank with plastic wrap.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
After a quick search to confirm what I was certain I had read before, Riccia will grow just fine emersed as long as it is kept in a damp, humid environment. Which is why I am covering the top of the tank with plastic wrap.

Oh ok I wasn't sure because I've never tried it before.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Depends on what you want to grow. From what I see from your list of plants, some root tabs (maybe Osmocote) would work, along with a diluted spray of macro ferts. Also, drop the water level down so the substrate is just saturated but isn't completely covered with water.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depends on what you want to grow. From what I see from your list of plants, some root tabs (maybe Osmocote) would work, along with a diluted spray of macro ferts. Also, drop the water level down so the substrate is just saturated but isn't completely covered with water.
Would you say that this is a requirement, or is it the recommended way that you would do it?
I don't have root tabs, but I do have some flourish that I can put into my spray bottle to water the plants with.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
A requirement in most cases. I did my dry starts with Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting mix capped with sand so I didn't need any ferts. However, kitty litter aka clay has no ferts whatsoever.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A requirement in most cases. I did my dry starts with Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting mix capped with sand so I didn't need any ferts. However, kitty litter aka clay has no ferts whatsoever.
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/substrate-jamie.html

Read the info in that link, then tell me that kitty litter has no ferts. It's natural clay from the earth, been mineralizing and collecting organic ferts for years before it was mined, bagged, and sold.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, I see. So a cap full of flourish in my spray bottle should do the trick then?

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Flourish comprehensive? It should work. Though the amount of macros it has is kinda small. Try it out and see how your plants do once you get them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts