The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 46-gallon bow front that I converted into a OEBT tank. I haven’t lost a shrimp in about 8 or 9 months. Trust me I stare at my shrimp tanks like a stalker.

- Straight RO water top off with added Fluval Shrimp Mineral Supplement on WC.
- Heavily planted (to me)
- Fluval Shrimp Stratum
- Fluval 305 canister filter with a spray bar
o Carbon
o Peat moss
o Seachem Purigen
o Ceramic rings
o Other bio filters
- Fluval in-take filter - just a sponge
- PH = 6.4 – 6.8
- Temp = 71
- Nitrate = 0
- Ammonia = 0
- GH = +/- 11
- KH = +/-2
- Flourish Excel
- Flourish Nitrogen
- Flourish Phosphorus
- Flourish Potassium
- Flourish Iron
- Flourish

Could it be just a fluke… The OEBT’s are breeding like rabbits so I know I am doing something right. Is my KH to low? Can one of the shrimp gooooooorrrroooos let me know what I am doing wrong or if I am ok?

-Don

·
Registered
689 Posts
First off... This line was awesome and somehow close to home for me also. It made me laugh as I sit here by myself and we know how rare that is.
Trust me I stare at my shrimp tanks like a stalker.
Moving on though I'm afriad after close analysis of your parameters and the issue at hand I'm afraid you have sucumbe to the dreadful.... natural causes. I know, I know... Take a moment and pull yourself together as this news is heart wrenching.

On a serious note though the nature of an animal observed in captivity will tell a lot about its well being. Look at how difficult it can be to mimic or mirror the natural habitat of a particular fish in order to induce spawning. Just knowing that your OEBT are out and about in the tank and breeding like rabbits should tell you as the owner that not only are you doing something right but your inverts are stress free enough to continue reproduction.

In captivity reproduction followed by regular eating habits are amoung the first to go if there is an ongoing issue.

I think you're going to be fine.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
havent died in 8-9 months means they're probably old age. This is the time of year that early spring births from last year will die. You're looking at 16 months max age on these bad boys, so if it was an adult, I wouldn't fret a whole lot. Just make sure you take his carcass out of the water and afford it the proper burial.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off... This line was awesome and somehow close to home for me also. It made me laugh as I sit here by myself and we know how rare that is.

Moving on though I'm afriad after close analysis of your parameters and the issue at hand I'm afraid you have sucumbe to the dreadful.... natural causes. I know, I know... Take a moment and pull yourself together as this news is heart wrenching.

On a serious note though the nature of an animal observed in captivity will tell a lot about its well being. Look at how difficult it can be to mimic or mirror the natural habitat of a particular fish in order to induce spawning. Just knowing that your OEBT are out and about in the tank and breeding like rabbits should tell you as the owner that not only are you doing something right but your inverts are stress free enough to continue reproduction.

In captivity reproduction followed by regular eating habits are amoung the first to go if there is an ongoing issue.

I think you're going to be fine.
:hihi:…. Sometimes I try and put myself in the shrimp’s shoes…. (That is if they wore shoes) and try to think about what they are thinking… like :eek:OMG what the Heck is he looking at.

Any ways I give you an A+ on sarcasm. I enjoyed your reply a lot. I had to show my wife it was so good. Now she thinks I am a bigger geek than before.

Maybe do a small water change just to make sure that no ammonia from the dead shrimp will stay in the water column.

I checked the Ammonia again after you posted this just to make sure and there is no indication of any ammonia that would register on the test.

havent died in 8-9 months means they're probably old age. This is the time of year that early spring births from last year will die. You're looking at 16 months max age on these bad boys, so if it was an adult, I wouldn't fret a whole lot. Just make sure you take his carcass out of the water and afford it the proper burial.
I think you just may be right. I didn’t know how old the first batch of shrimp I received was. I also did not know the life span. And yes I got the carcass out and gave him a proper burial by eating it. Mmmmm jk.

I looked again this morning and no deaths in the tank. I will post again if I have another. Thanks for your help.

-Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.