The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm setting up my first co2 pressurized system. i'm not sure about what to put in the bubble counter. is it ok to us just water? or do you need a special oil? i've looked at some videos on you tube and have seen the oil. if you need it, where can i buy it? no local stores around here have any co2 equipment.
thanks for the help!
happy holidays to all~

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have used both. The air bubbles move a little slower through the oil which makes it easier to count the bubbles thus giving you a bubble count. I like water better because it isn't as messy if you have any issues.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yea the mineral oil is just laxative. Get it at the drug store. I use it. Just pay heed not to allow it where it might get into your gas stream and ultimately into the tank. Water evaporates so you have to replace it eventually. If you use tap water you'll also have hard water deposits to take care of. If you go water, use distilled and you'll eliminate one step at refill time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check valves?

thnks for the info. i'm going to use distilled water. i dont trust myself with the oil. my luck i'd have a 'spill'.

one more question.

what about using a check valve for the line of co2 going into the tank to diffuser?
thanks again!

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
In my experience, when there's significant back pressure - especially if you're using an Atomic diffuser - you get a sudden burst of CO2 every time the solenoid kicks in. Regardless of what bc fluid I've used, I've always had a problem with that fluid being spitted up into the tubing toward the diffuser.

As oil will definitely clog a diffuser, and, if there's no diffuser, will make its way into the tank via a reactor, I *always* use water. And, honestly, I haven't figured out yet how to use anything else without it getting to the diffuser or tank. And I've tried - a lot.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
A check valve is essential. I use the cheapo plastic ones from US Plastic. There are brass ones that aren't expensive. Someone here would be able to tell you model# etc...

Kev, I've never used a ceramic diffuser but I do use a reactor. I keep my counter just below half full and don't have trouble with creep in the line.

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
A check valve is essential. I use the cheapo plastic ones from US Plastic. There are brass ones that aren't expensive. Someone here would be able to tell you model# etc...

Kev, I've never used a ceramic diffuser but I do use a reactor. I keep my counter just below half full and don't have trouble with creep in the line.
A check valve is essential, and will keep fluid from passing through the line from the tank toward the rig. However, it does nothing to stop anything from passing through toward the tank - gas, water, or oil.

A reactor contributes about as little back pressure as is possible, so, upon solenoid-on state, there will be little "burst" of CO2 through the bubble counter. You have no worries.

It's those with diffusers that have a potential problem. Diffusers will continue to allow gas to pass through at below the cracking pressure. For example, you can run a rig with an Atomic diffuser at 35 psi (which might be necessary for that particular diffuser to function). However,, while it's operating, you may be able to drop the working pressure down to maybe 25 psi ...and it will still work! However, tomorrow, when the solenoid turns on, 25 psi will not be enough to push anything through the diffuser, and nothing will happen.

The point is that the airline pressure, during solenoid-off, will drop far below the necessary cracking pressure. And when it turns on, there will be a sudden rush of CO2 into the line, potentially shooting the bubble counter fluid into the line.

That's been my experience, anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.