The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first fish with white dots and its impossible to catch so I need help how to treat ich.. I have amanos, neocaridinas, tetras ottos, nitite snails and rasboras. Whats the safest thing to use without killing them? Temp is 26c

·
Registered
47 Posts
If one of your fish has it, than most likely all of your other fish have it in that tank have it too, as ich is highly contagious. So, there's no point in getting a quarantine tank.

Treat the whole tank. First, raise the tank temperature to about 82 degrees fahrenheit/ 27 degrees celsius. This will make impact the life cycle of ich and make the process much quicker. Try pouring in some aqaurium salt. (Not the salt for saltwater fish.) You can also try "Super Ich Cure." Monitor your fish through this process.

·
Registered
60-P high tech, 45-P low tech
134 Posts
Like Galaxy The Betta Fish suggested, I've also had great success treating Ich by raising the temperature to about 84. I was able to do it with only temperature, but this method takes a little longer then combining other methods like salt and medication, but for me, it was the easiest route. 82 is on the low end of it being effective but works as well. I read somewhere to shoot for 84, the reason being that if your thermometer isn't perfectly accurate you could actually be at 80, thinking it's 82, and then the Ich may still be able to reproduce. Also, apparently there are some uncommon varieties that can be a little more tolerant to higher temperatures (not sure if this second part is true). It takes about two weeks at that target temperature to be effective. And you don't want to raise it too fast either, because it can stress the fish out. Also the warmer water will change the amount of oxygen in the water so you might want to aerate it more if you don't normally have a lot of water movement on the surface. I went up about a degree to 2 degrees per day until I got to 84 degrees. Then once I was there, I waited the two weeks, then dropped it back down a degree or 2 per day until I was back at my starting temperature. I noticed after 5 days or so there were no more signs of Ich on the fish, but you want to keep going so that the parts that shed off the fish can't reproduce. Before attempting this, double check your species preferred temperature range isn't wildly different from 84.

Sorry I forgot you were in celsius, so the target would be 29c.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Another word of caution on using heat in planted tanks- some plants will suffer at those temps, keep an eye out for that and maybe (if possible) remove those plants and store during treatment. If it's not an option just be aware and adjust accordingly so your water parameters don't suffer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.