The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and hobby and was excited to notice a berried CRS in my planted 10g this morning. The tank has been up and running almost two months and I would really like see these babies survive and thrive. My concern is that this is a community tank with a small school of 4 neon tetras as well as 2 ammanos, an apple snail, and the 3 afore mentioned CRS. The tank is fairly heavily planted with a large portion of hornwort as well as Vals and red luwigia. My question is, do I need to isolate either the berried CRS or remove the tetras? Im on a bit of a budget and do not have a second tank currently. I will not be heartbroken if all the shrimplettes don't make it but I would like to see some survive to bolster my population. Any tips or advice is appreciated. I've been lurking for some time and am excited to hopefully become a more active member.

Attachments

·
Registered
833 Posts
I would say remove the tetras, or maybe use a breeder box or net to isolate the berried CRS.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Also I'm not sure of your filtration, looks like an HOB. make sure to use a prefilter sponge on the intake tube.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is indeed an HOB and I planned to use a mesh stocking over the intake. I'm thinking the breeder box may be the way to go. Typically how long does it take for the shrimplettes to hatch? Sorry for the low quality photos as well and thanks for the quickly reply

·
Registered
14 Posts
the tetras would eat all the shrimplets... no if or buts... I had 6 tetras in my 100ltrs before, and it wiped off most of my RCS original population and kept the numbers really low... and RCS are more prolific breeders compare to CRS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thats what I was afraid of. It sounds like i should have time to set up another small tank(wife permitting) for either the tetras or the shrimp. I would love to do another shrimp tank with dark substrate but Im afraid the change would stress the berried female.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a breeder box in my main tank that has a bunch of RCS and some tigers and it is working great. The shrimplets are nice and safe. I have them in the box with a wad of moss and I feed them a tiny piece of algae disc or a couple flakes of fish food every couple days on top of whatever they are getting off the moss. In your case though...it seems that removing the tetras would be the easiest way to go.

·
Registered
123 Posts
What about guppies? I know they won't bother the adults, but would they eat the shrimplettes? Would there be any way for them to co-exist?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
What about guppies? I know they won't bother the adults, but would they eat the shrimplettes? Would there be any way for them to co-exist?
No, they will bother both the adults and shrimplets. Good thing is you don't need another tank for them, a bigger wine glass is good enough, mine even breed in there ;-)

·
Registered
123 Posts
A wine glass randyl? Do you mean like actually stick one of those mini wine bottles inside my tank so the crs could hide and breed in there? Do you have any pics of yours? I would love to see what that looks like. Would the guppies and crystal red shrimp be able to co-exist then? I'm dying for them to breed and I just ordered 10 more s+ crs.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Oh, I meant guppies of course. In your picture is a beta, and beta for sure will be okay, for guppies you need something a bit bigger.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
your best and cheapest bet would be to get a net breeder. No need to move the neons, no need to cover the HOB intake, no need for additional tank (though in the future, you may want one), and you can keep the same parameters in the net breeder as the tank effortlessly. it's $3-$4 from kensfish.com but it costs shipping too. So buying locally for about $5-$6 is good.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Once Neons get a taste for Shrimp they can become relentless hunters. I would move Fish or Shrimp.

If you want fish in there, look at Threadfin Rainbows, Otos, or male Endlers. Otos are Shrimp safe and the others have TINY mouths.

I am cycling a 5.5g for my CRS. My numbers are way down on my RCS since adding fish ( I have a Scarlet Badis juv male as well).

My tank is a complete jungle but my CPDs and Sc. Badis still find babies.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330790532.063421.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330790572.869557.jpg

TF Rainbows
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330790772.665018.jpg

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
That's terrible. NO fish will be happy in a bowl, let alone a wine glass.
Yup, I have to agree. I hate seeing Betta's living in a tiny glass/bowl/0.25 gal tank. Mine is in a 2.5gal and he's about to get upgraded to a 10gal. Just because they CAN exist in a cup, doesn't mean they HAVE to exist in a cup. I don't know why people think betta's are happy like that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
your best and cheapest bet would be to get a net breeder. No need to move the neons, no need to cover the HOB intake, no need for additional tank (though in the future, you may want one), and you can keep the same parameters in the net breeder as the tank effortlessly. it's $3-$4 from kensfish.com but it costs shipping too. So buying locally for about $5-$6 is good.
So you're saying to move the crs into a breeder net? And then maybe let them out sparingly when they are big enough? I just wish they made smaller breeder nets. I've got a 10 gallon and it looks huge in there. I've checked and it seems that they are all pretty much the same size 6.5" x 5" x 5".

Once Neons get a taste for Shrimp they can become relentless hunters. I would move Fish or Shrimp. If you want fish in there, look at Threadfin Rainbows, Otos, or male Endlers. Otos are Shrimp safe and the others have TINY mouths. I am cycling a 5.5g for my CRS. My numbers are way down on my RCS since adding fish ( I have a Scarlet Badis juv male as well). My tank is a complete jungle but my CPDs and Sc. Badis still find babies.
Wow. It's a jungle in there is right. That is a beautiful planted tank. It looks like there are plenty of hiding places in there. Do you think guppies would be the same way, as the tetras I mean, and relentlessly hunt down my crs? Cool looking fish that Scarlet Badis.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
So you're saying to move the crs into a breeder net? And then maybe let them out sparingly when they are big enough? I just wish they made smaller breeder nets. I've got a 10 gallon and it looks huge in there. I've checked and it seems that they are all pretty much the same size 6.5" x 5" x 5".

Wow. It's a jungle in there is right. That is a beautiful planted tank. It looks like there are plenty of hiding places in there. Do you think guppies would be the same way, as the tetras I mean, and relentlessly hunt down my crs? Cool looking fish that Scarlet Badis.
i actually think the breeder net is an eyesore but i wish it was a little bigger. Just so the shrimps inside have some space to move.

i mean getting a new tank and move the neons there would be your best option, but along with that comes additional substrate, filter, and bunch of other stuff which add up. but if you have the fund, then go for it. if you do though, maybe you should get started quickly to cycle it during the crs' gestation period.

So as bad as a net breeder looks, it's still the cheapest and the most appropriate in your situation

·
Registered
805 Posts
There so many thing wrong with your tank set up.

1. Gravel is too bright which in turn will make your shrimp color pale from generation to the next. Buy darker color gravel (go with Onyx Sand, if you don't want to deal with ADA soil)

2. Tank is too exposed, it's okay if there are no fishes in the tank

3. Neon/Cardinal Tetra will eat all your shrimplets, therefore having a moss or dense planted tank is required

Guppies are more of a notorious eater than Tetras.

Buy moss type plant and tie it on a flat piece of rock or anything heavy it will look nice and provide hiding for your shrimp.

If Neon Tetra is your favorite fish. Then I suggest go with Green Neon Tetra, they're 1/4 of the regular Tetra size and very nice for shrimp tank.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts