The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i've done lots of reading and for the most part i think i've i got this stuff down but i'm still confused about specifics.

Here are my parameters:

dgh: 7.84
dkh: 4.48
ph: 8

so from what i understand this is okay but i think the tank could still benefit from some baking soda although i'm still searching for how to dose that correctly in my 20 gl long tank.

But i'm curious as to what a really good value is and how much they could fluctuate after co2 injection. BTW, i'm gonna use a diy mix with a nutrafin co2 system.

The last thing is with co2 i've read ppl turn off their systems at night when the lights are off but considering i'm not utilizing pressured co2 i can't do that :( Anyways do I need to be watching my parameters all the time and simply "unplug" my system at night or if things get out of wack or does the excess co2 tend to escape into the air out of the tank?

Thx in advance. I've read for hours on end and all the concepts have started to blur together....lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
the c02 will drop your pH. 8 is too high. Try to keep your pH in the 6.5 - 7 range.

Don't unplug your diy co2 setup at night. It won't produce enough co2 for you to worry about that. If you get into a pressurized co2 setup it is recommended using a pH controller that controls the solenoid on your regulator. It shuts off the co2 when the pH hits a specific value. All automated.

I suggest you read through Rex's guide before you start adding and changing things. This will give you a much better understanding what plants need and how to maintain a healthy planted tank.
Knowledge is Power!

·
Registered
48 Posts

I had DIY CO2 on my tank up to just a few days ago, The DIY mix would last about 12-14 days with a curve of about 20ppm down to about 6ppm at change time. I'm using a hagen ladder for diffusion. [cut for wrongness] You don't need to turn off a DIY Co2 system at night, so don't worry about pulling your hoses off or removing the cap - otherwise the system will have to prime again, which can take a while. The reason why most turn off CO2 from a pressurized system is to conserve gas when the plants don't actively use it. In DIY, the yeast's life cycle determines CO2 output, so no reason to not use it.

The nutrafin DIY cannister (the little grey bottle) won't service a 20Gallon tank with any kind of output - it's pretty good for a 10 gallon, but the ladder is okay if you have a hang on back filter, but make sure you keep your water level topped up so you don't lose gas from water splashing. You're best to buy a 2-4litre bottle with a tight cap and somehow attach your airline to it (there are lots of DIY tutorials out there). In my 20 gallon I need a bubble rate from the ladder of about 30-40bubbles per minute to achieve 30ppm C02, though I just went to pressurized to save the headache of constanly keeping the DIY mix fresh and redrilling caps etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went through rex's site so many times and i just noticed that extra little bit on water chemistry! Any things are clearer now.

I'll start doing the co2 soon and will try to get the oysters (never thought about that!). thx.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
okay so i've done lots of reading and for the most part i think i've i got this stuff down but i'm still confused about specifics.

Here are my parameters:

dgh: 7.84
dkh: 4.48
ph: 8

so from what i understand this is okay but i think the tank could still benefit from some baking soda although i'm still searching for how to dose that correctly in my 20 gl long tank....

I went through rex's site so many times and i just noticed that extra little bit on water chemistry! Any things are clearer now.

I'll start doing the co2 soon and will try to get the oysters (never thought about that!). thx.
Hi M

Your dKH of 4.48 or 80 ppm is excellent alkalinity for a planted tank. You don't need to add any baking soda, crushed coral, oyster shells or anything that will add extra alkalinity. Many people recommend a dKH from 3 to 5, but you can work with a lower or higher dKH without adding chemicals to a planted tank.

Left C

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hi M

Your dKH of 4.48 or 80 ppm is excellent alkalinity for a planted tank. You don't need to add any baking soda, crushed coral, oyster shells or anything that will add extra alkalinity. Many people recommend a dKH from 3 to 5, but you can work with a lower or higher dKH without adding chemicals to a planted tank.

Left C
Ditto. You don't need to add any of that stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.