The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i'm 13 years old hoping to get into the fish tanking hobby. This is my personal attempt at an aquascape. I would really appreciate tips in general and any type of constructive criticism.

Behind the piece of diftwood and next to the filter is a small square of space.
Help? :D Plants? Placement?
Dirt (Miracle Grow)
T5 Light
100 Watt Heater
No Co2 but could get some homemade Co2 if necessary

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
Pictures don't show up for me. Not sure about anyone else.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm planning to put some in there, what do you do think about plants like HC or hairgrass? Mabye stargrass

·
Registered
838 Posts
Do you have soil under the sand? What is th lighting, co2? We need a bit more info before knowing which plants will and won't work.

Edit: Sorry I missed a bit of what you wrote. I don't know much about lower tech stuff, but I do know co2, even diy will help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Kk, guys i put some fish in. Not entirely done with the plants and still going to put some more fish in.
Rummynose Tetra
Bronze Corys

·
Registered
84 Posts
Happy rummys! Your rocks look a little big to be all the same size. It would look more natural if you had different sizes.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Corys like water movement. If you look on youtube you'll see them in their natural habitat, which is shallow fast moving streams. My corys love the movement of the water at night after the lights are out and I have the air stones going. They have a ball playing in the current.

A couple of things that strike me with your set up. First off, it looks pretty good. You have the idea. I think someone mentioned varying the size of the rocks. I think that would be ideal.

Is this a 10 gallon tank? If so I would stop stocking any more fish until the ones you have create equilibrium with the biological filter as you cycle the tank. Adding more fish right now might be risky. I wouldn't do it. If it is indeed a 10 gallon you might already have the max load your filter can handle.

I noticed in the first few pix that you had your tank sitting on a piece of wicker furniture. I can't tell whether it's still on that furniture or whether you moved it, but I would be very careful if you're still using it. Wicker isn't known for it's stability and the flex might be disastrous. If you put something underneath the tank like a piece of 1/2" plywood or MDF then you might be ok as long as there's no lateral movement.

Nice start! Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Planning on taking out the Corys to get more rummynoses and perhaps a gourami or something to make them school tighter.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hello! That's really awesome that you're only 13 and into such a great hobby. I'm 14. :)

Great start!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys. I have some m=ore pictures of my plants. These pictures are kind of crappy because i took them last night and it was really late. Well, here they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts