The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey PTF, My name is Greg this is my first post and first time being here. Very recently I caught the planted tank bug and decided to try my hand at a high tech planted aqua scape I have been fish keeping for 18+ years now and have had many tanks, but never dabbled in the co2 and high light world. I had very good success on my first 15 gallon high tech setup which is a monte carlo carpet and multiple stem plants along with AR mini and S. repens. I have been really leaning towards an iwagumi style set up and decided I would give it a shot and make it a show tank in my home. The house is not very large so I decided to do a nice clean small stand alone nano set up. I decided to try HC Cuba as the carpeting plant and will eventually add some giant hair grass for a little contrast. Here is the set up process. I am running uns controsoil substrate, along with pressurized co2, aqua worx orion 12" light, black seiryu stone, and HC cuba for the carpeting plant. I have a UNS canister filter on it. The tank is a UNS 30CM (7 Gallon) by far the smallest tank I have every had. I am currently going to do what I did with my first tank, 6 hours of light, co2 comes on 2 hours before the light and turns off same time as the light, I will do 50% water change every day for the first week then 50% WC every two days for the second week, then 50% WC every third day for the third week then once or twice a week 50% WC from then on. I will also up the light to 8 hours in a week or two. This method gave me so much success with my first planted tank and have had zero algae issues. I am interested to see if I get algae in this tank because I will only be running a carpeting plant, so I don't have the benefit of fast growing stem plants consuming nutrients before algae has the chance to. Oh and fertilizer schedule is as follows, I dose 1 pump of aquarium co-op easy green and 2 pumps easy iron everyday, I believe with the big water changes I don't get excess nutrients because i reset the value with the WC. its been working very well. Let me know what you guys think. Be easy It's my second high tech scape ever. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Looks promising.

Be careful though, because you've already caught Multiple Tank Syndrome, and soon you'll have aquariums everywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello and welcome!

Looks like a nice setup! But I would just straight skip the iron. Ease Green already has some iron in it and you are not even using red plants which tend to want a little more iron then others.
I agree with you, I'm cutting out the easy iron.

Looks promising.

Be careful though, because you've already caught Multiple Tank Syndrome, and soon you'll have aquariums everywhere.
Too late this is my 4th tank now lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like your layout so far, very clean!
The stone and substrate coordinates with the room too, it should be a really nice focal point when the green comes in :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm really interested in how you like the UNS canister filter. I am considering one for a "budget" :rolleyes: 10 gallon pea puffer that I setup with a sponge filter, but I'm ready to move on. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm really interested in how you like the UNS canister filter. I am considering one for a "budget" :rolleyes: 10 gallon pea puffer that I setup with a sponge filter, but I'm ready to move on. LOL!
So far I love it! Nice and quite and I bought the quick disconnects for it so maintenance is an absolute breeze!

Really nice looking. Great job!
Thank you very much! the DBT are taking off great! will post a progress pic soon. I do feel however trimming will be a nightmare with how many nooks and crannies I packed in there with the rock situation.

I like your layout so far, very clean!
The stone and substrate coordinates with the room too, it should be a really nice focal point when the green comes in :)
Thank you so much! the wife loves it too. She said the same thing.

Super clean and easy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh buddy, I think I'm sold @GregKarr09 I definitely see one of them in my future! The quick disconnect does look sweet! Let me find a way to embezzle these funds! LOL Thanks for the feedback. And so rude of me in my previous post not to acknowledge the beauty of the scape! It looks great! I can't wait to see it filled in!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh buddy, I think I'm sold @GregKarr09 I definitely see one of them in my future! The quick disconnect does look sweet! Let me find a way to embezzle these funds! LOL Thanks for the feedback. And so rude of me in my previous post not to acknowledge the beauty of the scape! It looks great! I can't wait to see it filled in!
Thank you very much! me too hope it looks as good as my imagination lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts