The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found the site when I was doing a search about plecos. I enjoyed reading and thought I'd chime in and ask for some advice. Have a ten gallon tank and didn't know what we were doing (and the sales people were less than informative). Started with three neons, two frogs that were supposed to be dwarfs and a leopard pleco.
Our 'dwarf' frogs turned out to be african albino clawed frogs that in five months had grown to six inches each. One by one the little neons disappeared overnight and we figured the frogs were eating them. Meanwhile my little bitty pleco, Pluto, grew to six inches plus. The frogs were stepping on his head and annoying him. I knew they didn't have enough room in there so got rid of the frogs and now just have Pluto. I've gotten so attached to that guy and he's such a handsome fellow. Right now he's the only one in the tank and seems content with that. After the frogs left, he seemed about worn out and napped for two days but now he's gotten quite active even during the daytime.
Oh, and now he's eight inches... so does anybody know if he'll be happy in the ten gallon tank for a while until we can work something out? I keep telling him "You've gotta stop growing so fast, dude!" Pluto is what my wife calls my 'Zen' fish. I can sit in front of the tank watching him and it's almost like meditation. I read somewhere that a pleco will roll their eyes and wink at you so I was determined to find out. I sat there for a good 20 minutes and danged if he didn't finally do it.
I know he's really just blinking both eyes but that was so cool. I was communing with my pleco.
Anyway, I'm a writer so I tend to get yakky... I'll keep it short for my first post. Thanks for any comments, suggestions.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Quick search on Leopard pleco
Species Type: Plecostomus
Maximum Size: 20 inches :eek:
Life Span: 25 years

start looking for a larger tank like about a 125g :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Please get him a larger tank, or donate him to someone who has one. I know that the "rule" is 1" of fish per gallon of water, but he can't be very happy if he can't even hardly turn around.

As far as first aquarium mistakes go....
We got our first tank about 20 years ago. Bought a 55 gallon with stand and the underpowered filter that comes with the "ready to go" kit. The major chain pet store (which I'll leave un-named) was more than happy to sell us about 30 fish to start our exciting new fish keeping adventure the same night we got the tank. Well, let me just say, I've learned the hard way about cycling a tank (and most of what's happening in the process.) Now when I see the poor guy getting talked into an Oscar for his new 10 gallon tank I make it my duty to advise them that oscars get huge! Lots of poor fish meet their demise due to our ignorance and that of the "fish store employees".

If only we would do our research before the impulse buy. With all the information that's availible at our fingertips, there's really no excuse not to. That being said.....I still do it from time to time, but I am getting better.

I'm not a writer, but I'm still long winded! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thsnks

Thanks for the replies. I did email a local family-owned biz and he said if we can't afford to get a larger tank soon that, although they don't take trade-ins, they do take donated fish. We haven't given up yet on the larger tank it's just gonna be hard because we've both got bad backs.
Might go by this guy's store and see what they got and the prices. It's a really cool older couple that own the store so might get some good advice. We're staying away from the big stores... too many people that work there don't know what they're talking about.

Nick

·
Registered
749 Posts
You may try checking on Craigslist. You could probably find a really good deal on an aquarium there and sometimes people selling are willing to deliver for a small fee. If you find a good deal on a tank and they won't deliver then you can search CL for people offering a service to haul/deliver things for you and get them to pick it up for you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you want to keep him and just hope to keep the cost of a new tank down, you can wait until a dollar a gallon tank sale turns up. Some of the chainstores are known to do that on a regular annual or semi-annual basis.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Screw the 1" per gallon idea. A 20 gallon is certainly not big enough for the fish. A 125+ gallon would be needed.

I'd get a 120 wide at the very least; 4 feet of space and 2 feet to turn around. A 180 would be even better.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you want to keep him and just hope to keep the cost of a new tank down, you can wait until a dollar a gallon tank sale turns up. Some of the chainstores are known to do that on a regular annual or semi-annual basis.
just keep an eye out for cheap tanks on craigslist or Ebay . You'll be amazed at some of the stuff you find. I got two 55 gallon tanks for free because people were moving and didn't want to deal with them anymore.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Screw the 1" per gallon idea. A 20 gallon is certainly not big enough for the fish. A 125+ gallon would be needed.

I'd get a 120 wide at the very least; 4 feet of space and 2 feet to turn around. A 180 would be even better.
Exactly. That fish is going to require a massive tank and massive filtration. You may be able to find a good deal, but no matter what it's going to be an expensive undertaking in terms of time, cost, and maintenance.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
This is getting pretty large on the suggestion scale based on a single fish purchased at a LFS . A 125 would work or re-home the thing before he gets too big as you've posted looking into.
I believe the OP fully realizes now how large this fish will grow and how long it will live. (reply in post #4)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts