The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I get algae in this tank, been running around 3 weeks. Any idea what type this is and how to get rid of it? Cut back to only 6 hours light a day.

Plant Flower Terrestrial plant Grass Wood
Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Twig Grass

It's a grayish color

Thanks guys

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
You're gonna have to be a little more patient as it's in the middle of a workday ;)

Grayish to brownish sounds like it might not be algae at all. New tanks often get a diatom outbreak. Mine did. It will pass on it's own in a few weeks. Just scrape the glass or get some Otocinclus cats to eat it.

Algae Guide

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol of course.. I get off at two so I don't always remember most work till five. I have a lot of what looks like diatomes on the rock but the stuff of the rotala looks completely different. It's more of a short thick hair, rather than what diatomes look like. And now that I look at the link, its deff bba. My filter was "broken" and creating near 0 flow until a few days ago. Also with no drop checker idk what my co2 levels look like.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
If my plants looked like that, I'd cut off the top healthy parts and replant that and trim down all the nasty parts and let that regrow. Plants with leaves that thin won't ever be completely clean again...no matter how many snails and otos you put in.

·
Banned
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If my plants looked like that, I'd cut off the top healthy parts and replant that and trim down all the nasty parts and let that regrow. Plants with leaves that thin won't ever be completely clean again...no matter how many snails and otos you put in.
So trim or not to trim?! Lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.