The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to build one of these stands for quite some time. I finally got a used 60-P so I decided to give it a shot. I used 3/4" plywood and paint because I got a deal on a damaged sheet and "wrong color" paint. I think I only have about 50 bucks in the materials (wood, glue, nails, hinges, paint). I installed a cabinet light that is on a switch operated by the opening/closing of the door as well. I attached some construction pictures and the last one is a picture with some of the equipment installed thus far. I'm waiting on the setup until I move to a new place and will probably start a journal for the tank. I'm pleased with the way it came out and would be happy to answer any questions. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Very pretty! Funny how the "wrong paint" is the ADA color ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the gallon was 5 dollars I couldn't buy it fast enough! Also I received a pm asking about how I joined the wood pieces and how I cut the half circles in the side. I joined everything with wood glue and brad nails, bead of glue and shot the nails through. Filled the holes and painted. The sides were cut with a coffee can "compass" and a jig saw with a scroll blade.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Very nice stand. Obviously you have built cabinets like this before? I like using glue and brads for butt joints too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This actually was my first "real" cabinet build. I've built stands for many tanks but no cabinet types. I consider myself to be pretty handy but this was still a learning experience.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a few more pictures of the switch/wiring and a picture of the full interior. Also I took a few pictures of the DIY tank strap I made out of pipe strap and snaps, my DIY Victor 250C with burkert and Ideal (wanted a nice all brass look), and my DIY Cerges reactor. Ill probably add a sponge on the reactor at the bottom of the can I just don't have one currently.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts