The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellow Plant Enthusiast, this is my first planted tank. Wanted to start a journal so i can retrace my progress and get feedback/advice. Also for those that are new wont make the many many many mistakes i made starting this Project lol. Currently I have a 46 Gallon Bowfront Tank with an Oddessy
2x39 6700 HO with a HOB Penguin 350 and Oddessy Heater.

Mistake #1
Used Pool Filter Sand over Aquatic Soil, but sand never settled after 4 days, then the sand was getting into the filter and was casuing all sorts of Noise. then after that, an air pocket in the soil came up and like a volcano, all the water was BLACK. This is what it looked like in day 6, before the soil blew into the water, got frustrated, dumped it all out, cleaned the tank and started new.

Attempt #2 After getting frustrated with the sand, i went to good ol Gravel Mixing Red/Black Gravel together.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now im curious as to my misfortune, is my light to close? i have roughly 3 inches on gravel and im using 2x39 watt HO lights, its sitting on top of the glass over my tank, should i be hanging it? if so how far? and then how long? i had it for 8, but then cranked it down to 5 but still not seeing progress

·
Registered
302 Posts
1st: Read hoppy's thread on lighting and parr levels
2nd: Is that the dinky co2 canister from petsmart/petco? You will have a hard time getting stable co2 levels with that thing. And if Im not mistaken its max capacity is 20gal, so if you are going to use them I would suggest two of them.

The main causes of bba are excess light, unstable co2, not enough fertilizers, and excess nutrients. Trust me brother when I say I feel your pain on this. I have been fighting this stuff for MONTHS and it won't be easy to get rid of. Once you (and I lol) find the perfect medium we will be rid of it.

Oh and try buying some Siamese Algae Eaters, they help alot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1st: Read hoppy's thread on lighting and parr levels
2nd: Is that the dinky co2 canister from petsmart/petco? You will have a hard time getting stable co2 levels with that thing. And if Im not mistaken its max capacity is 20gal, so if you are going to use them I would suggest two of them.

The main causes of bba are excess light, unstable co2, not enough fertilizers, and excess nutrients. Trust me brother when I say I feel your pain on this. I have been fighting this stuff for MONTHS and it won't be easy to get rid of. Once you (and I lol) find the perfect medium we will be rid of it.

Oh and try buying some Siamese Algae Eaters, they help alot.
I did, thats why i Had gotten the 2x39 watts and not the 4x29 watts, lol just unsure as to how much light is actually going into my tank although i could tell you that the tank is BRIGHT lol.
and the Co2 is actually 2x2 Gallons of DIY done on Diffrent days so i can have 1 still going as i replace the other one, but with all the mess and cleaning i did, i stopped the Co2 to see what would happen if i went the non co2 route
i was able to aquire a few Ghost Shrimps and they seem to be doing an awesome job of keeping my tank clean, so far no algae issues that im aware of, just alot of melted plants.

Any suggestions if I raise my light a few inches, what should be my Light on Time? 5 hours if what i have it at now, but man plants were growing wicked fast when i had it at 8 hours, just that the old growth would start to wilt, i guess lack of nutrients since light was on so long and so close maybe?

·
Registered
302 Posts
ops, sorry bout that. just glanced at the pic and thought I saw bba. Lucky

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice looking tank... I love Bowfronts and I almost bought a 46g bowfront but I didn't. lol! it's nice to see someone from south florida on here! as soon as I saw the picture of the plant from the seller i thought "That looks a lot like All Fish Emporium". BTW I like the gravel mix!
so in Miami eh, which part, im quite familiar with that area and thanks i like the black and red combo myself )

ops, sorry bout that. just glanced at the pic and thought I saw bba. Lucky
Np, like i said im open to criticism.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.