The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused, can you use a CO2 fire extinguisher for CO2? Or is it a different fitting or something?

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I'm confused, can you use a CO2 fire extinguisher for CO2? Or is it a different fitting or something?
I don't know much about fire extinguisher, but I think the fittings is different, and there is siphon in the CO2 FE,
Correct me if I am wrong, I want to know more if anyone knows how it work.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
The whole handle is different isn't it? The reason why we use co2 tanks like we do is because they allow regulators to mount.

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes, you can use it.. but only CO2 fire extinguishers.
and only after you take it to a CO2 charging spot, so they can change the lever, with a regular co2 tap..
how do you think they make the co2 based fire extiguishers? it's just a regular co2 bottle with a different tap..

·
Registered
496 Posts
yes, you can use it.. but only CO2 fire extinguishers.
and only after you take it to a CO2 charging spot, so they can change the lever, with a regular co2 tap..
how do you think they make the co2 based fire extiguishers? it's just a regular co2 bottle with a different tap..
i have seen many and had a few , the ones ive seen dont look anything like regular co2 tanks we buy

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
I believe the tank itself has the same threads but you'd have to replace the whole top part. You'd also have to have it done by a professional who would also do a hydro test on before they filled it for you. I talked to a fire safety company guy about it but I can't remember all the intricacies.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Some people may have missed the location. fishygurl is in Victoria, B.C.
Some, of what most of us might take for granted, isn't necessarily so in other countries, even as close as Canada or Mexico.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Some people may have missed the location. fishygurl is in Victoria, B.C.
Some, of what most of us might take for granted, isn't necessarily so in other countries, even as close as Canada or Mexico.
However, this isn't taken for granted. Throughout the world you can read of people who have replaced valves on fire extinguishers with cga 320 on/off valves.

You need to have a fire shop or gas/welding shop do it. In locations like the UK, it is relatively common due to the price of co2 tanks.

I have read of people doing this in the UK, Australia and canada.

In canada it is likely you can get a co2 tank for a reasonable price, comparable to what it would cost to buy/convert an extinguisher.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Co2 extinguisher can be bought much cheaper in the UK (anywhere between £5 second hand to £40 new)
if you were to use one in the US the only thing you need to do is match the thread on the output side of the extinguisher. no need to remove the handle just clamp or tie it to keep it depressed. the gas inside is the same
I have looked into this as i plan on buying a new regulator (dualstage) from one of the builders here in the new year and the only thing i need to do is change the CGA fitting for the relavant UK one.
There is no siphon in the UK FE as far as i know.
i have been using one for the last 5 months with a up aqua regulator from china with no problems at all (and i only paid £5 for the 2KG FE at an office clearance)
they are pressure tested and are valid for 10 years from date stamp on bottle.

some interesting info here.
www.teamonslaught.fsnet.co.uk/co2_info.htm

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
However, this isn't taken for granted. Throughout the world you can read of people who have replaced valves on fire extinguishers with cga 320 on/off valves.

You need to have a fire shop or gas/welding shop do it. In locations like the UK, it is relatively common due to the price of co2 tanks.

I have read of people doing this in the UK, Australia and canada.

In canada it is likely you can get a co2 tank for a reasonable price, comparable to what it would cost to buy/convert an extinguisher.
Good to know, thanks! I can find a different one, I just wanted to know as the place that sells fire extinguishers is the place where most people around here get them refilled.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Good to know, thanks! I can find a different one, I just wanted to know as the place that sells fire extinguishers is the place where most people around here get them refilled.
some people go to fire extinguisher shops, others go to somewhere like boc gas or arigas, personally i go to a beer distributer bc they fill while i wait.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A fire extinguisher sprays liquid CO2 (which becomes CO2 snow as it comes out), so it has an internal tube extending down to the bottom of the bottle where the liquid will always be. That tube has to be removed to use it for our purpose, which is to bubble a tiny amount of CO2 gas out. And, of course, it needs a manual shut-off valve on top, and not a trigger type valve.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not so on the UK/Euopean Co2 extinguishers they are pressurised vessels only(pressurised to 1000Psi when full) basicly a big paintball tank for all intensive pourposes.
The "snow" is caused by the rapid change in pressure causing extreme temprature difference (one reason why you dont hold the horn on a Co2 extinguisher)
Try opening the valve on a Co2 cylinder (if you can hold on to it !! they pack a punch) you will get "snow" around the valve nozzel.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Not so on the UK/Euopean Co2 extinguishers they are pressurised vessels only(pressurised to 1000Psi when full) basicly a big paintball tank for all intensive pourposes.
The "snow" is caused by the rapid change in pressure causing extreme temprature difference (one reason why you dont hold the horn on a Co2 extinguisher)
Try opening the valve on a Co2 cylinder (if you can hold on to it !! they pack a punch) you will get "snow" around the valve nozzel.
i think the snow has a lot to do with the black funnel thing attached to the outlet, i think they suck air in and the turbulance and air mixed with freezing co2 makes snow :)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
i think the snow has a lot to do with the black funnel thing attached to the outlet, i think they suck air in and the turbulance and air mixed with freezing co2 makes snow :)
Nice. Now you got me wanting to go buy one and play with it.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Nice. Now you got me wanting to go buy one and play with it.
i used to play with old extinguishers when the mall near me closed down. those yellow dust ones are nasty. dont shoot one of them off in a small space, and stand up wind.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The funnel helps direct the gas cloud to the flames. At the narrow end of the inside of the funnel there is a six jet nozzel to disperse the gas along the edges of the inside of the funnel. The snow or frost only lasts a few second and is formed on the metal of the nozzel and the outside of the funnel and connecting pipe (if you hold these areas while operating the extinguisher you will suffer a freeze burn or lose some skin).

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
The funnel helps direct the gas cloud to the flames. At the narrow end of the inside of the funnel there is a six jet nozzel to disperse the gas along the edges of the inside of the funnel. The snow or frost only lasts a few second and is formed on the metal of the nozzel and the outside of the funnel and connecting pipe (if you hold these areas while operating the extinguisher you will suffer a freeze burn or lose some skin).
isent there some sort of "venturi" openings in the narrow part of the funnel?

·
Registered
528 Posts
isent there some sort of "venturi" openings in the narrow part of the funnel?
That is the new design funnel it has a double skinned wall (old type was single wall) to prevent the user from freeze burn should they accidently hold the funnel (you'd be surprised how many are tempted to do it) but for training everyone is told to not hold the funnel (FE have a long shelf life (10 years) if serviced regularly before they are re pressure tested)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts