The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winner of this years Finnish Idols is Ari Koivunen, a young long haired boy who sings heavy metal! I'm just so awed that I had to share this with you all. :)

I've been really amazed this year, I really don't like watching American Idol or Finnish Idols if there's only cute little girls singing pop songs. This year I've been forced to watch Idols a bit. This year there was also another man too who has long hair and likes a bit heavier music (Kristian Meurman), but I don't think he sang any metal in the contest.

Ari has sung Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Whitesnake, Stratovarius and Led Zeppelin songs among others in the contest and even though he is still a bit inexperienced, he has amazing voice and will surely be just awesome after getting more experience and practice. Here's some of his performances:

Idols 2007: Ari Koivunen - Piano Man
Idols 2007: Ari Koivunen - Still Loving You (This one made me cry.)
Idols 2007: Ari Koivunen - Perfect Strangers
Idols 2007: Ari Koivunen - Hunting High And Low

You can find more from YouTube.

·
Registered
862 Posts
He is like a kid driving a ferrari!
He does indeed have a an excellent voice. He doesn't really have control or command of it yet though. With some formal training he would be tons better. His performances are remarkable yet not emotionally inspiring. He has TONS of potential. Thanks for sharing that with us.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The little guy has the talent and the voice. once he gets the skill and learn how to use it with emotion, he will be known world wide.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will surely be interesting to see what will happen in the future. :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't know about Finnish Idols but I sure hope that funny looking, sexually confused, Michael Jackson wanna-be, Sangina Lamakar wins the American version :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's going to be 23 this year. :D

I suppose I should have said young man instead of young boy, but he really does look much, much younger.

·
Registered
845 Posts
OMG, I wanted to call in after hearing him sing! I rarely, if ever watch American Idol. Too pop for my taste. But if they had a singer like Ari on, I'd watch it all the way thru! :) Thanks for sharing Rain! :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I wonder if Simon Cowell is collecting royalties for this Finnish Idol. If not, I bet there's some copyright infrignement going on. If it's so big, I'm sure it's legit though. I agree on the comment by AxolotlFarmer. This show and other ones like it are getting out of hand. Without even trying, I can think of:
American Idol
Dancing with the stars
So you think you can dance
Rockstar Supernova
Nashville Star
etc, plus other countries' versions.

Reality TV is sure something that networks are exploiting to the extreme ;P
No script, little overhead and the public eats it up. Plus the folks on those shows who end up signing record deals and making some $$ have to pay a fraction of their earnings to the show (for 5 yrs in American Idol's case, I believe). My wife and I have watched American Idol, but this season sucks IMHO, compared to others.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ari looks like janne ahonen the ski jumper in my opinion :p

i don't know what to think about Finnish idols..usually i don't follow reality tv but i caught myself watching the show through the whole season :)

I think the best song was sung by Kristian Meurman the Lapin Kesä song...now that almost made me feel like crying despite not understanding Finnish hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CEW5dmnDw4

there's a youtube clip of him singing

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
I like. I hate the pop garbage.
Bassist or Guitarist Idol, that I'd watch. Stu and Joe are god.
Yes, the spin offs are out of hand, but many have various taste and interest.

I liked the stranger odder folks on those shows.
Maybe I'm just strange myself.
My old school punk days are still there.

"War pigs" by Black Sabbath would be a good song to sing and most appropriate about now.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Actually it is not a spin off. There are versions of American Idol all over Europe and Asia all part of the same company. Its made someone filthy filthy rich.

That is so much better than anyone ever on American idol. They don't even let people on American idol do a full length song, never miind metal and guitar licks. Totally awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts