The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This is clearly a reef tank light, producing far more light than any but the highest planted tank could use. Why even consider a light that you would never use more than half the bulbs in?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hoppy,

Well, your point is related to a question that I've asked before....what is the value of more light. Plants are growing well in my current 84g with 2x54 T5HO. Co2 saturation is good and I fertilize daily with the full regimen of Pfertz products.

So what would be the benefit of more light. I've assumed my light to be moderate. I did try one plant that didn't do well...forget the variety...but even for current plants - Red Temple, Combamba Furcata, would they benefit from more. By benefit, I don't necessarily mean grow faster, but fuller, more colorful, less leggy over time...those kinds of benefits.

I've read others here go with 3, or 4 bulb fixtures. I assume there is a benefit other than excessive growth.

One of the things I like about this particular fixture is that the reflectors are individual and look deep. I would like to reduce light spillover from my stock Hagen fixture. I'd like to get some sparkle into the tank. The Giesmann Midday and Aqua Flora have acclerated growth and brought out more color in plants and fish, but have lost some of the sparkle of the original bulbs...so having more variety of light seems like it might be a benefit.

As for cost, I don't like to waste money, but when it comes to one-time expenses I'd rather spend and be satisfied than save money now and wind up upgrading again.

So what do you think? What would more light accomplish OTHER than faster growth and potential algae problems :) And if there are benefits, how mch more light do you tihnk it would require to provide those benefits.

Thanks,
AB

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So looking at Hoppy's T5 chart, it looks like a 48" tank would be med light with 2x54w T5 HO bulbs. Whcih judging by my tank is where I'd say mine is. 3x bulbs would get me right into the lower realm of high light. 4x bulbs however, would put me a smidge into reef light.

There's aren't many 3x fixtures to choose from.

So, would a 4x bulb fixture with 2 bulbs on for the entire duration and the other two coming on for a limited time, say 12hr x2, then adding 2 more for 6 hours acheive the equivalent of a high-light tank? Or would 4x bulbs at once, just be too much regardless of duration. I assume the former, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.