The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys currently I am running a planted + 24/7 on my 75 G. I am considering adding a stingray just for some extra light. Mainly to showcase the fish better.

My question is could this potentially be too much light? I just don't want to run into algae issues or have too much light for the discus. I just feel like the 24/7 doesn't really show off the colors of the discus as well as I'd like.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,079 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finnex has the monster ray fixture. Looks pretty nice, especially on discus tanks. Also I don't think it adds much PAR for plants, just makes colors stand out better.

Thanks for the input. That's really all I am looking for is to make the colors pop. Plants seen to be doing very well with the 24/7

My fish are mostly blue and red.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
Thanks for the input. That's really all I am looking for is to make the colors pop. Plants seen to be doing very well with the 24/7

Might as well just get a 415 reel of RGB SMD's........
Lot cheaper (and basically the same thing) as a monster ray.
MR is such old tech now.. ;)

Aliexpress.com : Buy 5M Flexible RGB LED Light Strip 16ft 5050 SMD 500cm 300LED 60leds/Meter WATERPROOF+44 Key IR REMOTE Controller+DC plug connector from Reliable light suppliers on RITESDEPOT IND

Save yourself over $100 plus have the advantage of adjust-ability..

Really, stick w/ a stingray..
IF you want an expensive RGB light go w/ a Current Planted plus
http://current-usa.com/perfect-color-for-planted-tanks/
Or another 24/7 and not use the 24/7 mode..

Your biggest "problem" I see is front to back coverage..Wider tanks generally need 2 strip lights..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Might as well just get a 415 reel of RGB SMD's........
Lot cheaper (and basically the same thing) as a monster ray.
MR is such old tech now..

Aliexpress.com : Buy 5M Flexible RGB LED Light Strip 16ft 5050 SMD 500cm 300LED 60leds/Meter WATERPROOF+44 Key IR REMOTE Controller+DC plug connector from Reliable light suppliers on RITESDEPOT IND

Save yourself over $100 plus have the advantage of adjust-ability..

Really, stick w/ a stingray..
IF you want an expensive RGB light go w/ a Current Planted plus
http://current-usa.com/perfect-color-for-planted-tanks/
Or another 24/7 and not use the 24/7 mode..

Your biggest "problem" I see is front to back coverage..Wider tanks generally need 2 strip lights..

I think you're right Jeff. I have noticed that I have that "dead" triangle at the upper front corner of tank which is where the discus like to swim a lot of the time. I think you're right by adding a second fixture in general would do the trick.

With 2 fixtures are you running one closer to front and one closer to rear then letting them overlap in the middle rather than centering the fixtures over the tank?

·
Registered
13,079 Posts
I think your right Jeff. I have noticed that I have that "dead" triangle at the upper front corner of tank which is where the discus like to swim a lot of the time. I think you're right by adding a second fixture in general would do the trick.

With 2 fixtures are you running one closer to front and one closer to rear then letting them overlap in the middle rather than centering the fixtures over the tank?
start centered and spread them out f/b till all dead spots are gone.
Technically you could just raise the light you have but PAR decreases rapidly...

One fixture needs to be roughly 5-6" off the water line for f/b coverage t/b..........so 2 fixture 3" apart..

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think your right Jeff. I have noticed that I have that "dead" triangle at the upper front corner of tank which is where the discus like to swim a lot of the time. I think you're right by adding a second fixture in general would do the trick.

start centered and spread them out f/b till all dead spots are gone.
Technically you could just raise the light you have but PAR decreases rapidly...

One fixture needs to be roughly 5-6" off the water line for f/b coverage t/b..........so 2 fixture 3" apart..

Cool thanks so much. I did try to raise my light some. I would really need to raise it a lot to get rid of the dead spot on front.

I think I'm going to go with the stingray. Was consider the monster but since I just placed an order for another discus, that cost more than the light, I think I'll go with the less expensive option.

I'll test it out see how it looks. Good thing is amazon has a great policy for returns.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2 24/7s on my 75 gallon and its too much light for my co2 ei dosed tank. I have switched one to a timer and keep reducing the time and light intensity to lessen algae. I'd go with the monster ray and it makes the plants and fish look great while not adding too much par.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.