The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to get some advice from the lighting experts. I just set up my new 20 long tank which I am lighting with an old 36" Finnex Ray2 DS 7000K that I dug out of storage (yes the light is longer than the tank 馃槄). Since I previously used this light on a much taller 46 gal bow front I have the light hooked up to a DIY hanging system. I am wondering on how high I should have the light. I looked for a PAR chart for this light but wasn't able to find one. I know they existed back when this light was new but it's been a while.

So I took a guess and currently have the light about 5.5" above the top of the tank which translates to about 16" above the substrate's lowest point. The current plant list is:
Anubias Frazeri
Anubias sp. unknown
Crypt. undulata
Crypt. sp. unknown
Ludwigia repens
Hydrocotyle tripata
Eleocharis parvula
Narrow-leaf Java fern

So nothing to light hungry besides the dwarf hair grass. A DHG carpet is a goal for this tank so I want to make sure it gets enough light, but also don't want to blast the tank since its still so new.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added another inch or so of blasting sand to the tank so the distance from light to the substrate has decreased. Still wondering about the height and duration. I haven't noticed any algae yet which is good (knock on wood) but I'm still a bit suspicious my lighting might not be correct yet.

Registered
Since the light is longer than the tank 36" par chart isn't t going to ve that helpful.
I' d start more with this and guess .

Reactions: Thenoob

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the light is longer than the tank 36" par chart isn't t going to ve that helpful.
I' d start more with this and guess .

Thank you jeffkrol! I knew the PAR chart was out there somewhere.

Based on that chart it looks like I should lower the light?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts