The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I just picked this up and it should be here tomorrow. Had good reviews and write ups online. The one thing that kind of irks me is theyre ALL white lights with no reds.
Anyone here have it and can tell me whether its good enough for a 55gallon with ferts and co2 to grow some decent carpeting plants. I have a fluval planted + on my 30 right now and it does a decent job but the newer model of it was pretty hard to get and had some bad reviews. I can get it at kens for 158 with a discount right now though.
Just want to make sure my purchase was decent or its going back!
thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have switched over to finnex ray II's...I think I have 8 of them....I have one of the finnex "planted" variety...

I have a dirted 55 with Co2 and ferts...My dwarf hairgrass took off like crazy. then I had a co2 break down for a few weeks and it stalled out....I am back in action (the past 2 days) and am hoping to see it fill in completely....

My christmas moss (at mid tank level) is growing like crazy.

I have a finnex II on a 40 (which is only about 18 tall...or is it 16?) that is NOT co2, nor is it dirted but the finnex is creating a very nice carpet ....(s repens)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have switched over to finnex ray ii's...i think i have 8 of them....i have one of the finnex "planted" variety...

I have a dirted 55 with co2 and ferts...my dwarf hairgrass took off like crazy. Then i had a co2 break down for a few weeks and it stalled out....i am back in action (the past 2 days) and am hoping to see it fill in completely....

My christmas moss (at mid tank level) is growing like crazy.

I have a finnex ii on a 40 (which is only about 18 tall...or is it 16?) that is not co2, nor is it dirted but the finnex is creating a very nice carpet ....(s repens)
thanks!!!!

Im actually thinking of not using the mounting bracket and making something myself to sit it closer to the water. One review I read about the newer fluval said the sealer around the glass portion was really bad and water was getting into peoples lights. Notice any problems like this on these? Would running some marine silicone be a good idea before really putting them to use?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got the light

Its nice, she loves it. Very bright, but not AS bright as I thought. I miss the reds and yellows my fluval gives. I might actually use both lights even though the fluval is only a 30" light (really 24 with extended brackets)

One thing I will say is the brackets on this thing SUCK!!!!

There are actually two holes on each side of this thing

Im thinking of getting some plastic dowels that fit in the holes and pushing them in and just letting the light sit on these on the rim of the tank. It will make the light sit lower and I Wont be worried as much the cheap clear plastic brackets will snap at any given moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.