The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would 1 48" Finnex planted plus be a good substitution for a hagen GLO dual T5HO fixture? I have raised my light up a bit to tone it down.. and have been debating getting a led bar.

I have a Planted plus on a small tank how ever its very shallow.. My 84G tank is a bout 18-20" deep.

Would one of the 48" planted plus be enough or would i need more?
I do have frets and CO2..but i have been slowly turning down the amount of dosing.. due to some prior algae and excessive trimming!

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I have both the GLO and Planted+. Subjectively, I feel you will be losing a bit of light, especially at depth and width. I do like Planted+, especially the ability to mess with spectrum and intensity.

You can always buy 1 first and go from there.

v3

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats true.. i raised the T5 up to lower the light.. how ever sitting on the couch i see the bright bulb and it drives me nuts.. So i'm thinking a LED planted plus or ray2 on the rim will be much nicer.. I don't mind less light since the tank is established..just as long as none of the plants don't suffer.. slower growth is welcome!

would a 120 degree led be enough to light 18" of depth and 18-20" downwards" deep ?

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
would a 120 degree led be enough to light 18" of depth and 18-20" downwards" deep ?
I have one at ~18" height , sitting right on the rim, and it's looking good, even to me. The 18" spread might be an issue. That's, imho, is the primary reason people going double fixtures.

v3

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
I personally would go for the same one as with Planted+ you can do your own "enchanting' (lol @ sp) and you can use the same remote and a single ramp timer (I think).

v3

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
It would depend on your goals for the tank. To add some perspective, adding a second like fixture effectively doubles the intensity overall. Diversifying with a Monster Ray, the tank would be offered a quality of light in different kelvin. In my experience, i run a RAY II and Monster Ray paired over 3 separate tanks and appreciate the combination very much.

The practical benefit seen with the Monster ray was that my cardinals, endlers and red plants stood out where before they would not with a single lamp.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
Planted+ uses RGB LEDs - change your intensity and spectrum to your needs.

v3

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In the FWIW department: The bulbs that are lost when they use the red bulbs are fairly good for plants as they do use most spectrums of light at least some. But the red ones that will replace those are exactly in one of the main spectrums which plant use.
So as far as the plant use is concerned, the Planted + should be better for them.
But the bulbs which were taken out do have more visible spectrum than what replaced then. So people think the light is not as good, plant wise cause they see less light than before. But I'm also saying look at a PAR chart for the Ray II before you do a double
on it. The PAR meters don't read the red spectrum so they don't have a PAR rating on that light, but as far as the plants go it should be equal to the Ray II or better.

BTW: Almost forgot. Look on You Tube for "how to make hills" in the aquascaping section. You don't just pile up gravel and it will stay like that.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. I kind of like my tank not as blinding as it was with the t5. The planted tank is a nice brightness for a big tank.. If it's further forward the back plants don't get a ton of light and are some what shadowed. So it's down to planted+ or monster ray to add more light. What so you guys think would be best?

I could just center and leave the one planted plus. It would just mea. The amazon sword, lotus, hygro gets less light which could be a good thing to slow it down. Only real issue is the DHG and bajaxia (or what ever it's called) not getting higher light

1 - 20 of 28 Posts