The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've recently set up a new aquarium and have come to the conclusion that the lighting standard with the tank probably wont be adequate if I plan on filling it with plants.

The tank is a Boyu LYG 800 dimensions 810w x 360d x 720h (mm) / 32w x 14d x 28h (inches) 150L / 40Gal
The aquarium comes standard with 2 x 20W T8 Tubes

I've done a bit of research and I just need some more experienced opinions. I think I've narrowed my choices down to either the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 or the Finnex Ray 2.
I really like the idea behind the 24/7 but I have a feeling I'm going to need the Ray 2 if I plan on planting any carpeting plants (which I would like)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've attached some photos to give everyone a better idea of what I'm working with, I'd like to be able to affix the new lights where the current ones are.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
Just wanted to add the substrate I am using is Pisces Iron Sand, and I would prefer to stay away from using any co2 or fertilizers.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is tough because I feel the 24/7 might not be enough, but the Ray 2 could be too much without C02. You could go with the Ray 2, and if it is too much light, you could raise it more off the tank. Or add CO2 at some point with the Ray 2, since you want to carpet.
See that's also the conclusion I've come to.
The only carpeting plant I would like is some Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' which from what I've read doesn't seem to be the most difficult carpeting plant to grow...

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
The only carpeting plant I would like is some Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' which from what I've read doesn't seem to be the most difficult carpeting plant to grow...
I take it you have a price limit..and what is your favorite overall tank color???
Red to blue and any point in between..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I take it you have a price limit..and what is your favorite overall tank color???
Red to blue and any point in between..
I don't really have a price limit but I'm more so limited in choices due to my location (a small town in South Australia).

I looked at the Current USA Satellite Plus Pro and really liked it but cant find out whether or not it supports 240v and even then It doesn't ship to Australia from Amazon.

Colour doesn't really bother me so much but I would like a more natural looking light...

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
I don't really have a price limit but I'm more so limited in choices due to my location (a small town in South Australia).

I looked at the Current USA Satellite Plus Pro and really liked it but cant find out whether or not it supports 240v and even then It doesn't ship to Australia from Amazon.

Colour doesn't really bother me so much but I would like a more natural looking light...
Well that is one problem. no clue what is available in Australia.
My only suggestion would be DSunY direct from China..

·
Registered
14 Posts

If you just want monte carlo for carpeting, i don't think you will have any problem growing them on planted +24/7. I have it on 24/7 mode and they are growing just fine. You will need co2 and fertz though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.