The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an established 60g tank with silica (pool filter) sand substrate. I planted after I got the 48" Planted+ 24/7. In 24/7 mode I am getting a lot of algae as the plants aren't established enough to out compete. In addition to reducing nutrients (water changes, algae scrubbing, and backing off on fert dosing), I'll use a custom light setting for lighting to reduce the midday brightness 24/7 provides. But it's a bit of 'by guess or by gosh'.
Does anyone have a custom setting 'recipe' that might fit the above circumstance???
I'm thinking I need something like:
Push W, then down arrow 2-4 (60% - 80% White)
Red arrow, up 2-4 (20%-40% Red)

Help appreciated.

Footnote: I love the 24/7 feature, but need to stop the algae before it gets out of hand until the balance occurs and the plants get a chance to dominate over algae.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I was fine tuning my finnex 24/7, I just used the white channel to determine what the lights intensity was as those lights produce the vast majority of the PAR. Then I used the red, green, blue adjustments to just get a color I liked and it worked out perfectly. I started at 60% intensity (4 down clicks on white) with various other colors to satisfy the color I liked and bumped up the white 10% each week till I noticed GDA on the glass then bumped it down. Obviously the right intensity varies from tank to tank but this method worked great for making adjustments.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm having some trouble with adjustments. I press 'W' and get bright white, down arrow-blink, down arrow-blink, down arrow-nothing, down arrow-nothing...blink, blink, blink - too dark!
I press red up arrow and nothing until I press the red up arrow a couple more times, then blink, blink, blink-red. I get nothing with green or blue arrows unless I press 'G' or 'B' and then that's all I get. It just doesn't seem to work right!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I float hornwort in my 55 with the 24/7,it goes nuts.I get a little bit of hair algae on the hornwort that I pull out when doing my weekly w/c.It helps use up the excess nutrients and lowers the light intensity.I just let the light run in 24/7 mode.

Only drawback is you always have hornwort to give away/trash/sell.I sometimes use the long pieces to decorate a tall 35 hex by wrapping them around a rock or piece of decor.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update: After sifting through this forum and the Finnex forum, I discovered that an algae bloom seems to be pretty common with this light in 24/7 mode (although most often with depths less than 20", where mine is 24 - perhaps more like 21 with the sand substrate). A common resolve to reduce the light intensity and remain in 24/7 mode is to use fiberglass window screen as a shade cloth. So for about $6, that's exactly what I've done. I simply cut a 5" x 48" piece of screen to sit on the glass canopy below the light.
I may invest in Hornwort or some other floating plants, but this seemed to be a potentially really quick fix....and may not be necessary once I find the balance.

Edit: The next day I felt it was still too bright from noon to 3pm so I added another layer of screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts