The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Looks good falco, glad to hear your shrimp are breeding; i've got babies running around too. :) If the java fern gets to be too much then you could always consider needle leaf java fern, that's what I went with in mine. Even with a bunch of leaves, they're so thin they don't really overpower anything.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
6 Month Update:

Hey guys, so it has been a little while since I posted an update. I left the tank alone for the most part for the past 4 months and only preformed routine maintenance. Everything has grown well and filled in nicely. Well, except the Marsilea which never did much of anything except die back. My biggest issue however, was that the Java Fern was way too big for such a small tank. It really dominated the scape and was in my opinion, ruining what could look really nice. I posted a TRADE on here and within one day luckily found a great TPT member to trade with. I gave him all the Java Fern and in return he hooked it up with a few new crypts and a few assorted stem plants. Oh, and also some downoi, which is awesome looking.

I trimmed and replanted a lot of the willow hygro to where the Java Fern was, and mixed in the assorted stems along the back. I also filled in the middle/front with more crypts.

The two neons I had in the tank died shortly after the rescape. Too much of a mess was kicked up, and they didn't make it. My Cherry Shrimp community however is thriving. I ordered some of Jake's Om Nom Nom Shrimp Food and am going to keep this tank as a shrimp only jungle for the time being. Well, shrimp and snails only.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Looking good Falcooo! Layout-wise, IMO you've got some vertical space that is not being utilized. You could use the current branch and make it more vertical or add a larger piece of wood/stone to give the tank a focal point:)

cheers

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
It has been a while since I updated this thread, so here goes...

I have recently added a Dwarf Pea Puffer who has fortunately (knock on wood) not been bothering the shrimp. He has however, made snacks of most of the snails so far. The plants have been doing well, I had a minor setback in that I moved and the tank experienced a dark day or two and also a week or two prior of no ferts due to a hectic schedule on my part. So in that, the downoi melted down to stubs and the hydro got awfully leggy. I trimmed and replanted a lot of the stems and am back on schedule. I just threw in a few root tabs in hopes of kickstarting the crypts. I also have some java moss on the way which I will tie to a rock and place in the front of the tank as a mini carpet section.

Oh, and I am also very pleased that my anubias nana is currently flowering. First time that has ever happened for me.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts