1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up two of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200088791901

Finnex 3x36w Power Compact Lights

Seemed like a good price to add 216 watts to my 125 gallon. Now I can get rid of my screw-in CFs that most likely provide minimal light gain. The guy is installing all 10,000k bulbs in the two units, so good to go.

Good deal for $145 for (2)?

Ted

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A good deal will depend on how long they last. You got the entire unit for what is basically the cost of three decent bulbs shipped.

But looking at the picture it looks like they have a flat reflector and looking at the measurements the bulbs are much to close together. So you are losing a lot of light to restrike.

·
Registered
429 Posts
In the pictures I can see places and vents that look there are fans in the fixture but I can't actually see any fans. It also doesn't mention anything about fans. That's alot of light and alot of heat if there are no fans in it. Nice looking fixture though and a good price if it works out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I run a computer department with 12,000 PCs and 853 Intel/AMD servers, so fans are not a problem. I have a box of 12v various sizes as I type.

Heck, this might be a good RAOK for shipping only in the future. I will advise.

Thanks for the info.

Ted

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Rex, you called it right...

One bulb died within 30 minutes of power. A second within 3.5 hours. What the heck? Must be a poor quality bulb? Shinmao is the name on the bulbs, which I think is the Chinese name for Finnex. PL-36W 10,000k.

I am giving the guy a chance to correct the problem. We shall see.

Wow these babies run hot!

Ted

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I doubt they will do anything. I tried to get something done about a bulb that was broke (literally) when I fired it up for the first time.

They told me basically "tough sh*t". Not sure if bulbs included with fixtures even carry a warranty. My JBJ's didn't.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I think I got a bad run on these (2) 3x36. Paint blistering on endcaps and intermittent flickering. The guys at Finnex have been wonderful in helping. Communications top notch and very friendly. They are providing a full refund as I don't want to get into a mail back and fourth on these units.

So.... I am going to do it right (I think) and order 2x36 and 4x55 from AHSupply. Is 4.8wpg to much? That is what the total will be with the AH lights and my VHOs.

What K should I get? I run 10,000k on the VHOs. The AH site is recommending the 6800-7800k for freshwater planted tanks? Is that any better for plants than 10000k, or is it just a "to the eye" difference?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Wow, guess you got a bad batch.

My 2x36 fixture has been running great.

I'm in the final stages of putting a MH into my 3x36w fixture. I took out the middle bulb so I'll have 70W MH + 2x36W PC in the fixture. Mhuahahahah! :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, I think I got a bad run on these (2) 3x36. Paint blistering on endcaps and intermittent flickering. The guys at Finnex have been wonderful in helping. Communications top notch and very friendly. They are providing a full refund as I don't want to get into a mail back and fourth on these units.

So.... I am going to do it right (I think) and order 2x36 and 4x55 from AHSupply. Is 4.8wpg to much? That is what the total will be with the AH lights and my VHOs.

What K should I get? I run 10,000k on the VHOs. The AH site is recommending the 6800-7800k for freshwater planted tanks? Is that any better for plants than 10000k, or is it just a "to the eye" difference?

Thanks,
Ted
I like a mix 10000k, 9325k are my favorites, and 6700k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.