The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnex seems to be a moderately priced popular option but based the number of forum members who own it. I've read all of the posts on the Finnex Club page and the content seems focused on who bought what unit they day it was ordered or arrived and little information on the long term reliablity of it.

Finnex's industry low warranty of 6 months leaves me concerned they don't have much faith in thier product compared to the other vendors offering much longer warranties.

I'm starting this thread hoping the Finnex owners can comment on their units after several months or years of ownership/operation. How are they working? Any issues? Regrets? Good news or bad news stories?

Hopefully this will help me choose between Finnex and BML

Thank you - Ken

· Registered
492 Posts
I've had mine for several months and it it still functions correctly. My only gripes (minor):

*There is no separate cord for the moon lights.
*One I originally ordered, a 10", was actually 9&3/4" so I sent it back and ordered a 12".
*Legs are good, but bars that fit into the rails would be better for adjustment.

Otherwise very happy with the device. Other fixtures I've had were all glass T12s, current usa T5 HOs, and Tetra Leds. The Finnex is right up there with the current usa IMHO. Hope this helps.

· Registered
43 Posts
Mine is brand new. Cant say much for personal experience. I know a user by the name of jbrady33 uses them, and loves them. His tanks are the primary reason I bought mine. I got the planted+ variety. In my research I didnt find much about the Finnex being a liability, or short lifetimes, or bad reviews. They seem fairly solid. (thus i bought one)

Images of the light on my tank. The tank is Not fully set up yet, but you can see the size and shape of the light

@prig - whats up with the legs? mine has tracks that the legs slide on, Mine is a 30", and fits quite comfortable on my 36bowfront. the legs could slide all the way into the middle if i wanted. maybe the Rays are built different than the planted+?

Another pro point - The feet out of the box are U shaped to straddle the rim of the tank. However the internal wall of the U is detachable, so it fits over hoods (that how i have mine). I found a lot of lights were not so friendly with stock hoods.

· Registered
1,055 Posts
I used mine for a month or so. Works perfectly, i just tore the tank down. I really liked the growth i got but i hated the color of the white LED's. It makes the plants look washed out. Otherwise, my rotalas could not have pearled harder. But it was a crapload of light for me on my 10 gallon. This is the fugeray 24" fyi.

· Registered
492 Posts
@prig - whats up with the legs? mine has tracks that the legs slide on, Mine is a 30", and fits quite comfortable on my 36bowfront. the legs could slide all the way into the middle if i wanted. maybe the Rays are built different than the planted+?
They're the same. What I meant was that the legs raise the fixture and limit the maximum length. My Current USA had metal bars that slid in and out of the fixture body. Thus you could mount it right near the surface and it could fit a tank much wider than the fixture if needed.

Don't get me wrong the Finnex is great and the complaint is just nitpicking.

· Registered
291 Posts
I've been running a fugeray 20" for a year. No problems. I like the light a lot.

Because of the way it is designed I don't use the moonlights as you have to manually flip a switch when you want to swap over to the moonlights.

· Registered
963 Posts
I have a 24" Ray 2 which has not had any problems and has provided my 60P with really good plant growth. I also have a 36" Fugeray that I purchased in Mar and went on the fritz in Nov with a defective power supply (fixture started flashing on & off). Finnex replaced the power supply when the warranty had expired (2 mo) and I only had to pay shipping. Granted that the warranty is only 6 mo but Finnex did in my situation, standing by their products and replaced a defective component. It was because of this that I went ahead and purchased another unit (12" Fugeray) for another recent project. Overall I like there products. Finnex design and fuctionality are working well for my planted tanks. :bounce:

· Premium Member
399 Posts
I own three, a Fugeray-R, a 12" Fugeray and a 24" Fugeray. The 24" Fugeray started strobe-lighting after about 5 months, but Finnex was quick to replace the unit. After about 3 months of operation, the blue LED's on the 12" Fugeray started flickering, and it took some adjusting of the switch to get them to turn on. I've had no issues with the Fugeray-R, about 5 months in.

Overall, I'd say the build quality could use some work with regards to wiring and faulty circuits, but at the price point it's hard to complain. From what I understand, they are also a relatively new company, so I'm sure some of these issues will get smoothed out.

· Registered
123 Posts
I've only had mine for a few weeks, so I can't attest to its long-term reliability, but I do like the light. I can point to a couple areas where they cut corners, which explains its cost:

1. Leg design is not well thought-out, and awkward on a take with the plastic rim. I can't even rest it properly with the glass cover on the tank, so I use velcro (which blends in with the black rim).

2. Moonlighting cannot be separately controlled by a timer. Who's gonna manually turn their lights on and off in the long run? Plus, the moonlights are the wrong color for planted tanks (blue looks good in marine tanks, weird in planted).

3. Power cord is very short. Easy to work around with a simple extension cord, but annoying considering that all my other equipment have at least double the cord length.

Don't get me wrong, I like the light, but they did make some compromises. If the LEDs are good quality and last a long time, and customer service is good, then these compromises are actually not bad.

· Premium Member
81 Posts
I used mine for a month or so. Works perfectly, i just tore the tank down. I really liked the growth i got but i hated the color of the white LED's. It makes the plants look washed out. Otherwise, my rotalas could not have pearled harder. But it was a crapload of light for me on my 10 gallon. This is the fugeray 24" fyi.

I have a 16" Fugeray on my 5g nano tank. I agree it makes the plants a little washed out, but overall pretty happy with plant growth and I didnt have to break the bank buying LED's.

A 24" Planted+ light is arriving tomorrow that has the red LED's to enhance plant colors, looking forward to seeing how it compares to the dual t5's I've been using so far.

· Registered
5,993 Posts
I don't think making the assumption that because Finnex offers a warranty of 6 months they don't believe in the quality of their product is very unfair.

Finnex has gone out of their way to involve us, the planted tank hobbyist in the design of their products. They keep the cost in budget for most of us.

Just because a company may offer a life time warranty, does not mean they will actually live up to their word, nor does it mean that company will survive longer than the products.

I've got the newest Planted + over my 56C Riparium and I really like it. I've seen growth in al 3 types of Anubias I keep in that tank in the short time I've used it. I bought mine via the Pre-order promotion. I recommend Finnex and I will buy another if I decide to set up another display tank.

· Registered
4 Posts
We've had ours for less then 6 months, placed on top of Fluval Spec V cover, never came in contact with water, somehow moisture got into the unit and burned out the bulbs. Called Finnex and they spent 15 minutes arguing with us that we weren't using it correctly and wouldn't honor warranty as its water damage. They only warranty bulbs for 30 days, and manufacturing defects for 180. Anyway check out the reviews on Amazon they seem to have about a 10% defect rate and getting them to honor warranty seems impossible. Buyer beware.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.