The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
A few people have done DIY dimmers for finnex fixtures. Lowe said dimmers are going to be introduced in there next fixture update.
I have yet to see one... now that I have a tad more familiarity I can see the possibility yet nobody has shown that did it.

I believe you, I just want documentation..

;)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True enough! I just don't want it to be "too diim" but given that it will only be 12-13" above the substrate it will likely be putting out 60-70 par so i have lots of room to tone it down a bit.

This one looks like it would do the trick > http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...5PRBMPTWcaRgaVnaXJTVtr7GmcqdTR/kiEoXO42jViw==

Single output.. so I suppose i can replace the finned switches with relays to control the individual colour outputs (white/red and moonlight). My sunrise/sunset would dimm the blue as well.. unless i skipped the man well and gave the original power supply its own power lead the the blue so its always on at full power.. or just get two man wells.. hmmm :) I like where this is going!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The LED's are run at constant voltage w/ current limiting resistors.. LDD's or any constant current driver won't work really..
The CC driver "works" by scaling the voltage to the amp draw..stopping at its rated current.
W/ the current limiting resistors and all in series parallel.. I'm not seeing this working too well..

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
So what your saying the only way to so it is with a pwm driver and essentially pulse the LEDs to emit more or less lite
Well that is how all good dimming is done.. regardless of constant current or voltage...
What I'm saying is I believe you can't just throw an LDD in there and expect results..
You'd have to reconfigure the whole LED assembly AFAICT.

The easiest way is to cut the trace from the ps to the series/parallel array.
running that to one of the "designed for higher power pulse" dimmers..
And run that back to the array..
Sounds complicated and in practice might be..but the concept is simple..

The Finnex is "set" on its current use by the resistor in the series strings..
Stick a 24v ps on it and you will more than likely burn out the LED's because it won't "drop" enough current..
Changing the value of the SMD on the series string (w/ the 15v PS)would do the same..
Less ohms brighter LEDs..

nobody should or would dim using just current (or voltage) dropping.. causes color shifts in the LED..
Even 0-10V dimming just changes the output to a pulse.. though it doesn't "look" like that..or at least they should.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.