The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Finnex Ray 2 on one of my planted tanks and like it quite a bit. I was entertaining the thought of getting another one for a 20 gallon I'm shortly setting up. Finnex has decided to quit manufacturing it so I thought I would seek suggestions from other planted tank fans. Im planing on a carpeted, and quite colorful use of plants.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions/opinions,etc....

Bump: Finnex is being DISCONTINUED......not disconnected.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Not surprising that the RayII is being discontinued..

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not surprising that the RayII is being discontinued..

As someone who is still in the lighting learning curve, Id appreciate you expanding on your comment.

Bump:
Not Finnex, but the Fluval 3.0 is a very capable light.

Greetings, one reason I do like the Finnex is because it has no foo-foo. Turn it on and turn it off. It has plenty of light for my needs. I do understand folks who want a lot of doo-dads with their light source but I'm looking for simplicity. The Fluval3.0 is indeed a fine light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
As someone who is still in the lighting learning curve, Id appreciate you expanding on your comment.

Bump:
You can absolutely have the Fluval 3.0 on and off. And it makes things a bit easier because it has a built-in timer. It's as simple as telling it when you want it to come on and when you want it to turn off, sunrise and sunset are totally optional.

·
Super Moderator
14,981 Posts
Just something to keep in mind: Those lights are still going to be available on the market under different brands/stickers. Finnex was merely rebranding imported OEM goods from China - which are now markedly more expensive. Aquatop is one of the rebranders and there are several others on Amazon and various aquatic retail sites.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding the Fluval 3.0 light. I don't have any bluetooth capabilities. Can I still use this light ? I see that it does not come with any remote control unit.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Regarding the Fluval 3.0 light. I don't have any bluetooth capabilities. Can I still use this light ? I see that it does not come with any remote control unit.

Thanks for your help.

If nobody has an answer for you, I’d be happy to test it out for you with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks for your help.

It has a button on the top with 3 different modes. On, Off and Blue only. But you will benefit the most out of it by using a smart phone or a tablet.

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/plant-spectrum/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has a button on the top with 3 different modes. On, Off and Blue only. But you will benefit the most out of it by using a smart phone or a tablet.

https://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/plant-spectrum/

Prior to getting a blue tooth item, I will need to use the ON/OFF feature. Will I be able to do any dimming or is the light factory set at a particular setting ?

Thanks all for your help, this old guy appreciates it .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prior to getting a blue tooth item, I will need to use the ON/OFF feature. Will I be able to do any dimming or is the light factory set at a particular setting ?

Thanks all for your help, this old guy appreciates it .

Not sure about any dimming features without Bluetooth. I believe it's just on/off at all channels on full.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure about any dimming features without Bluetooth. I believe it's just on/off at all channels on full.

The good news for me is that Aquarium Co-Op replied that even without a Blue Tooth device , I will be able to adjust the brightness of the light by just holding down the power button. Its default setting is 100 % bright. Without a Blue Tooth device I wont be able to program it to perform some of the other features it has.

I think this is going to be the light for my new tank. Much obliged for all those who have answered my queries.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The good news for me is that Aquarium Co-Op replied that even without a Blue Tooth device , I will be able to adjust the brightness of the light by just holding down the power button. Its default setting is 100 % bright. Without a Blue Tooth device I wont be able to program it to perform some of the other features it has.

I think this is going to be the light for my new tank. Much obliged for all those who have answered my queries.
Just incase, I want to warn you that the the 24-48" versions have a button but the nano version has no button and can only be controlled by bluetooth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just incase, I want to warn you that the the 24-48" versions have a button but the nano version has no button and can only be controlled by bluetooth.

Thanks for the heads up ... I just placed an order with Aquarium Co-Op for a 24" model and wish to thank all who helped me decide on which light to get for the 20 Im putting together.. Later on I may decide on getting another one to replace the Finnex Ray 2.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
Thanks for the heads up ... I just placed an order with Aquarium Co-Op for a 24" model and wish to thank all who helped me decide on which light to get for the 20 Im putting together.. Later on I may decide on getting another one to replace the Finnex Ray 2.

android tablets are dirt cheap on evil bay...watch the os version though and make sure the Fluval can handle it..

New 10.1" inch 8GB+256GB Tablet PC Computer Laptop Android 8.1 MTK6797 Ten Core

$14 inc. free shipping from Timbuktu...;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
android tablets are dirt cheap on evil bay...watch the os version though and make sure the Fluval can handle it..

New 10.1" inch 8GB+256GB Tablet PC Computer Laptop Android 8.1 MTK6797 Ten Core

$14 inc. free shipping from Timbuktu...;)

Hmmmmm, something that cheeeeeeep would be sufficient to fully operate the Fluval 3.0 ?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hmmmmm, something that cheeeeeeep would be sufficient to fully operate the Fluval 3.0 ?
As long as the OS version will support the app it will have no issues running it. There isnt much to the app but it is really nice being able to control all the different light intensities and having the ramp up/down feature.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts