The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to receive a first new rimless tank 36"L x 18"W x 24"H, which I will be running without a cover, with CO2 and full ADA products.

I will be doing Iwagumi style with a full HC carpet, along with Downoi and a Val.

I am seriously considering trying Finnex. I am concerned the PAR from a single 36" Ray II would not be enough for probably 22" depth after the substrate.

My question for 36" Finnex users is which combination would be best for my situation:

A. Single 36" Ray II-DS
B. Two 36" Ray II-DS
C. Single 36" Ray II-DS & Single 36" Fuge Ray

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ohh that would be great!

I am leaning toward trying one fixture first. If it isn't enough then I would consider my options. Since I haven't had any experience with these Finnex, I am wandering in the dark.

· Banned
638 Posts
IMO a single 36 with CO2 will grow them just fine! These are strong lights...

Maybe wait for the twin 7k plus red leds that are rumored to be coming!

I have 4 finnex from 10,36, 48 and I love them all!
Don't suppose you know about when they are gonna come out with it, do you?

· Registered
38 Posts
Should be fine growing HC the only thing you may run into is the front to back light spread if you have HC carpeting the whole thing. I have the 36" love it, but with a glass top (on a 40B) the spread is not quite ideal. This may be the glass top diffusing some of the light...haven't tried it without the top though. My suggestion especially if your going to dry start the HC is get one Ray II see how it grows if not enough grab a dual 7K w/red when they come out and you will have all the light you will ever want.

· Registered
21,007 Posts
Thanks, ohh that would be great!

I am leaning toward trying one fixture first. If it isn't enough then I would consider my options. Since I haven't had any experience with these Finnex, I am wandering in the dark.
He he, you have to plug in a Finnex to get the full benefit from it.:redface:

I am sure a single 36 inch Ray2 will be adequate.

· Registered
515 Posts
Anyone know what sizes the new 7000k with red leds will come in?

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2
I'm sure it'll start with a 10", 12", 18" and 24" but with the really high demand for a 36" and 48" Ray2 after those launched, they may launch those sizes right away as well. I'm just hoping they aren't any pricier than the DS because I've delayed my purchase until they come out :icon_bigg

· Carpe Diem
7,566 Posts
Finnex is this forum sponsor, you might post the question in their section or PM Lowe. They are great people and answer questions quick.

My biggest issue with Ray is the light spread. Raising up the fixture alivates the problem somewhat, at the expense of PAR

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

· Registered
348 Posts
I think a single Ray 2 would be enough. I'm dealing with the same distance from the light to the substrate and I'm not having any issues. Also, on this tall of a tank I'm not having any issues with light spread front to back even with my bow. I'm also running open top as well as a surface skimmer on my canister so that I get the maximum amount of light to the bottom of the tank!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.