The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on the site for some time now reading great reviews and opinions on LED lighting and feel like I have narrowed down my choices to the lights noted above.
I have tried to do some searches to see if this post was duplicative, and while there are plenty of separate reviews, I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons. I understand the Current LED plus is cheaper but doesn't include a timer, and when I include the ramp timer the price between the two is pretty close (approx. $150 for the 48"). At this point, I would appreciate any feedback on why I should go with one over the other,

The details of my tank are;
Freshwater
currently using CFLs
60 gallon (24" deep and 48" wide)
Low to medium light plants (wisteria, anubius, swords etc)
2-3" Fine substrate base
Not currently running CO2
using seachem flourish root tabs

Finally, if I step up my price point, is there something else out there that I should look into that will be much better?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have both of these lights. Both are great, but I would keep in mind a few things. The 24/7 a much higher PAR rating on max. You have a pretty deep tank so this may be beneficial if you ultimately decide to add CO2 (it's always nice to have the option) or if you want to increase your lighting. Both of these lights are adjustable but you will need a timer if you stop using the 24/7 setting. I like the build quality of the current and the remote better than the 24/7.

If I were in your situation, I would go with the 24/7 so you can do medium lighting if you decide to go that route in the future. The Satellite plus only has 20 PAR at 24" meaning you will need another fixture if you want a different light level.
Let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best to answer them.

Satellite Freshwater LED+ | Current-USA

·
Registered
13,081 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input. I had looked at the Satellite+ Pro but had some concerns about it being too bright and developing an algae problem. However, if it could be dimmed as you pointed out, that would be great.
So do I understand correctly that I can program a daily cycle where the "mid-day" or brightest period is not full power? I do like some of the other features this light incorporates as well.

thanks again

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
thanks for the input. I had looked at the Satellite+ Pro but had some concerns about it being too bright and developing an algae problem. However, if it could be dimmed as you pointed out, that would be great.
So do I understand correctly that I can program a daily cycle where the "mid-day" or brightest period is not full power? I do like some of the other features this light incorporates as well.

thanks again
Program daylight color spectrum
1. Press Daylight
2. Press any of the pre-programmed color spectrums and customize the color and intensity
using the adjustment buttons until your desired color spectrum is acheived.
Please see page 6 for daylight color spectrum recommendations
http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Sat-Plus-Pro-Instructions-Rev.pdf

It isn't "perfect" , you only have a 15min "set" ramp up/down..;)
Note: Ecoxotic and plus PRO are equiv. lights w/ th Eco being slightly better in design/quality/PAR.. theoretically..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those sale prices on the Ecoxotic E-Series are hard to pass up. The 48" is almost half the price of the Current Plus Pro and in line with the Satellite+ and Finnex 24/7.
The only negatives I have read are possible issues with overheating.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Those sale prices on the Ecoxotic E-Series are hard to pass up. The 48" is almost half the price of the Current Plus Pro and in line with the Satellite+ and Finnex 24/7.
The only negatives I have read are possible issues with overheating.
At reduced output levels diode heat will be a minimum..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.