The Planted Tank Forum banner

Finnex 24/7 too much for a shallow tank?

1387 3
I recently upgraded a low tech planted 10 gallon tank to a 20 long. I had a pair of finnex stingray clips on the 10 but they don't seem enough for the 20, least-ways they aren't aesthetically pleasing. My other two larger planted tanks have Finnex 24/7s on them and I really like them. I like the changing moods of the lights throughout the day. I was thinking about buying one for the 20 long but I'm a bit worried it would be too much light for such a shallow tank.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Low tech on 24/7 mode? Yes too much light. I am running one on my low tech tank 20L. I have a custom setting of white and green on at 30%, red at 50%, and blues are completely off. This tank used to be high tech and I ran it on MAX for 6 hours a day. The light's par peaks for like 5 hours so it would be a lot of light for low tech.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I recently upgraded a low tech planted 10 gallon tank to a 20 long. I had a pair of finnex stingray clips on the 10 but they don't seem enough for the 20, least-ways they aren't aesthetically pleasing. My other two larger planted tanks have Finnex 24/7s on them and I really like them. I like the changing moods of the lights throughout the day. I was thinking about buying one for the 20 long but I'm a bit worried it would be too much light for such a shallow tank.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
As you I am sure are aware you can always make a custom setting with the 24/7 and use that. Say 80% or 60% power. And also running it in 24/7 mode you typically get about 4 1/2 hours of 80% or more of max power. The graph will give you an idea(readings done at 7.5" from light to sensor but gives you an idea). I did not take readings of the 30" but someone else here on the forums @mattinmd did. I took the readings on the 48". At least like I said with this light you can adjust the power. At full you will be at about 65 to 75 par at 12" or so. Hope this info helps. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...24-7-planted-par-lux-kelvin-pur-readings.html

Graph

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.