The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Scarlet Badis school last week. However, it doesn't appear that that they are eating anything. The tank is fully cycled (0/0/30) and heavily planted, they seem fairly active, swimming about, playing with each other.

However, I can't find any food that they seem to actually eat. I know they're finicky eaters, but I have yet to see them actually eat anything. Put the food in, watch to see if they eat. Wait 6 hours and remove any leftovers. The leftovers are about the same amount as I put in (only micro amounts since the fish are soo small).

I've tried feeding them live cultures of my white worms, microworms, daphnia, BBS. Tried frozen and freeze dried. Even tried dipping the foods in garlic to see if they would eat it.

Flakes and pellets have also been uneaten.

They do seem healthy - colors are coming out, and still haven't have a fish loss, but am concerned as they don't appear to be eating anything.

Any suggestions? Or are they still getting used to the tank and eating when I'm not looking :p

·
Registered
523 Posts
They are finicky eaters. But not when it comes to live food. I have 3 types of dario/badis I keep. What I noticed is that not everyone is going for the same food at once. My Dario sp Jantia Hill aka Dario Kajal' the dominant male went for the larger Grindal worms and avoid smaller ones and then the smallest female did the same and noticed she can't fit it.. So then after 20 mins she went for the smaller ones. Look at your darios and see if their belly seems normal. If sunken in then there is a problem. Otherwise some wild darios are very timid. 99.9% will always go for live food and is always preferred. . 1% will take flakes if you train them. Another reason is due to stress and if too many males or dominant male is causing problems. What size is your tank?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 4 pale females and 2 red males in a 5g nano tank. Bellies on all of them seem normal.

I didn't think flakes or pellets would work, but seeing none of the other live/frozen/dried worked, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try. I'm contacting the breeder and seeing what he was feeding them, and will mimic those choices here.

I'm just concerned that I have yet to witness them eating things yet. Sometimes they put some in their mouths, to spit them out - not the usual re-eating I see other fish do. I guess I'll just wait and see.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
I'd be more worried about having six in a 5 gallon tank. I'm betting some of those females area likely subdominant males. They are pretty aggressive between the males. 5 gallons is a small space for that many badis.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'd be more worried about having six in a 5 gallon tank. I'm betting some of those females area likely subdominant males. They are pretty aggressive between the males. 5 gallons is a small space for that many badis.
I agree with Cousesfantic. Though I have 3 females housed with 2 males in my 2.5 it's heavily filled in moss tubes and wood. Atm due to the process of moving tanks. If possible try to get them a 6 gallon or see them in different tanks. See how they behave and are feeding. Sometimes the dominant male is very aggressive to the point where the others won't dare eat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,269 Posts
I had two males in a 5.5 gallon with lots of cover and they beat the heck out of each other. I also had a M/F pair I ordered and the male picked on the female like crazy. I just personally think they need more space to get their own territory.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I took the suggestion and moved the pairings around. 2F and 1M in each other 7G planted tanks. However, they still don't seem to be eating anything. Still healthy and swimming around, but I'm worried about them starving...

I trust the breeder I got them from, and am 100% certain that I've got 4 females and 2 males (4 are colorless, and 2 are fully red). He said white worms and BBS is what they primarily ate - which is strange, all the other fish in the house like the white worms and BBS, but it doesn't appear that these badis are working out. I've made sure that the water parameters (KH/GH, salinity, phosphate etc...) matched very close to the breeder's setup, as well as ensuring the temp on the tanks are maintained with 1 degree of 74F (using both chillers and heaters). As well as moving some lights around and timing to give them the same lighting conditions as the breeders set up.

The only other thing I can think of is that some of the plants in there are being eaten by them, or causing them to stress out. Or they could be sick, but they don't show any apparent signs of sickness.

I'll give it another week and if they still aren't eating anything, I'll bring them back to the breeder and try out another set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts