The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you sometimes find your berried OEBTs dying before/after they release their eggs? It's happened twice before, and I know something's not wrong with my water since I've got some babies in my tank for a few weeks now. Has anyone found a way to counteract these deaths? It's really getting on my nerves...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Do you sometimes find your berried OEBTs dying before/after they release their eggs? It's happened twice before, and I know something's not wrong with my water since I've got some babies in my tank for a few weeks now. Has anyone found a way to counteract these deaths? It's really getting on my nerves...

Just because you have babies in the tank doesn’t mean that there is nothing wrong with your water. Read up on Bacterial infections of dwarf shrimp. I had a problem a ways back where I to had tons of babies and my water parameters where good and my juveniles and adults where dropping like flies.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just because you have babies in the tank doesn’t mean that there is nothing wrong with your water. Read up on Bacterial infections of dwarf shrimp. I had a problem a ways back where I to had tons of babies and my water parameters where good and my and adults where dropping like flies.
None of my shrimp have cloudy bodies, short/no antennae, etc. so that's not the problem. None of my OEBTs have died except for the two females.

Water parameters:
pH: 6.5
KH: 0-1
GH: 5
TDS: 195ish
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
How big is your tank and what temperature? Adding more aeration (like adding an extra bubble stone) is a pretty universal remedy, especially if adult shrimps are dying and babies are okay. Berried females are under a lot of stress, so weak ones may not make it. OEBTs and BTOEs are finiky, I agree that they are very sensitive to nitrate but if you're sure yours is less than 10ppm then it shouldn't be the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.