The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

My aquarium water used to be crystal clear.
It is now slightly cloudy with very fine particles floating around in the water.
I tried to fix this problem yesterday by cleaning out the filter pads and canister filter as well as doing a water change.

Does anyone know what has caused this? I am assuming its fish poo so i have stopped feeding the fish temporarily. I used to feed them every other day but ill change it to weekly for now.

Can I used 2 fine filter pads instead of one in my EHEIM canister filter? I might replace my carbon filter pad as well to see if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hi guys

My aquarium water used to be crystal clear.
It is now slightly cloudy with very fine particles floating around in the water.
I tried to fix this problem yesterday by cleaning out the filter pads and canister filter as well as doing a water change.

Does anyone know what has caused this? I am assuming its fish poo so i have stopped feeding the fish temporarily. I used to feed them every other day but ill change it to weekly for now.

Can I used 2 fine filter pads instead of one in my EHEIM canister filter? I might replace my carbon filter pad as well to see if that makes a difference.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
What are your water parameters?

As for using more of the "fine" filters, you're talking about the white poly-fiber-ish stuff, right? If it's anything like mine, when that thing gets dirty, it severely limits the output of my filter's pump, so I'd be careful using two.

As for carbon, I don't think it would have much to do with it being cloudy.

Only thing I can think of is a nitrite spike.

Did you recently clean out your filter media, not just the pads?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Don't know the cause, but it may be a less than real good cleansing routine.
Suggest a good rinsing of all your filter media, & suctioning any 'gunk' from your filter containers. Then try using filter floss as one of your media - double layered, and replaced frequently, along with using Purigen (rather than carbon) as one your media.
Works very well for me.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can put sock on output of filter like temporarily post-filter. Im doing it like some kind of water polishing. Nice thing its easy to put and remove and dont stress filter too much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.