The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to think about my next nano tank (Fluval 5.5 edge tank - but just the tank portion) - and I would like to keep the plants very delicate/wispy looking to make the tank look bigger than it is.

The tank will be low-tech with EI ferts and Excel dosing.

I have Rotala sp. "Bangladesh" and Myriophyllum mattogrossense in my current 10g - and they are exactly the type of plant I am thinking of as an example.

Would love any recommendations!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I feel like cambodia fills a tank up too much.
Look at my 5.5, I have a ton of wallichi. Of course I just trimmed it back hard, but it does a good job of making the tank look big. I put some in my 75 though, just cause, and it looks like it doesn't even belong in such a big tank lol.

Another idea for wispy plants would be L. inclinata var. Curly (I think its a inclinata var anyways). Sure, its pricey, but if you got a single stem and propegated it I bet it would be cool. Plus, I don't know how much wispier it can get then that.

HC or glosso would make an excelent carpet if you are into that, and I believe that any polygunum sp would work out fairly well as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the great recommendations. I am still getting a feel for most of the plants - so this is very helpful.

Hybridherp - I had not come across L. inclinata var. Curly before. That is a really neat plant that would really look nice in the tank. I will have to get some.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
cabomba gets wide and tall. Proserpinaca palustris (mermaid weed) gets big.

try asian ambrulia (limnophila sessiliflora). it has smaller denser growth. Various species of rotala would work as well.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Hydrothrix gardneri is a good option but is bigger than the Rotala species.

Although not frail or wispy, Proserpinaca pectinata has some charm in this type of category.

Be careful with the Limnophila sessiliflora. It's on the naughty list for some states.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam, Rotala sp. 'Thailand', Rotala sp. 'Nanjenshan', Rotala hippuris, Rotala wallichii all have very fine delicate looking leaves. Much thinner than Rotala sp. 'Bangladesh' (that thing is a weed!)

Myriophyllum sp. 'Guyana' is a good fine leaved stem that often stays on the smaller side.

Ludwigia sp. 'Curly' although a super cool and beautiful plant, gets rather large.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Ambulia (Limnophila indica) gets really HUGE. R. 'Bangladesh' grows a mile a day in a high-light tank.

Vesuvius (Echinodorus Angustifolia) is not really 'delicate' but is an interesting plant that maxes out at ~12".

Myrio sp. 'mini' is indeed delicate, just about perfect fora nano, maxes out at ~12", but can be a real PITA to keep going and.

Water Sprite can be an interesting option if you do not mind replanting it often.

Just my $0.02

Myrio 'mini' in a 12g long:

Vesuvius:

·
Premium Member
485 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.