The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just got my flow meter... From what I understand, I have to take my bubble counter and remove the needle valve. Install that at the top of the flow meter and attach the bottom of the flow meter to the regulator. Correct?

What does the knob on the flow meter adjust if I have to use the needle valve anyway?

If I want to turn the top block around, is just a matter of removing the screws, lifting it off and turning it around? Will there be gaskets etc that I need to be careful of?
Nice! It's a good meter...

Yes, you have it right. The meter does have a good quality valve, but - assuming yours is exactly the same as mine (does it have a letter printed on it?) - its adjustments are too coarse for the flow range you need.

flipping the top block isn't hard, and there aren't any pieces that are going to fall off or shoot out at you when you remove it. The trickiest bit is keeping the tube in place while you put it all back together.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Nice! It's a good meter...

Yes, you have it right. The meter does have a good quality valve, but - assuming yours is exactly the same as mine (does it have a letter printed on it?) - its adjustments are too coarse for the flow range you need.

flipping the top block isn't hard, and there aren't any pieces that are going to fall off or shoot out at you when you remove it. The trickiest bit is keeping the tube in place while you put it all back together.
As far as adjustment goes, how does that work then? Do you keep that one wide open and then just use the needle valve?

I also was wondering if I can use a normal regulator since I'm using this flow meter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
As far as adjustment goes, how does that work then? Do you keep that one wide open and then just use the needle valve?

I also was wondering if I can use a normal regulator since I'm using this flow meter.
Yes. You want the built in valve open. Use the valve you attach to the output to control your flow.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say normal regulator.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yes. You want the built in valve open. Use the valve you attach to the output to control your flow.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say normal regulator.
Perhaps I dont know what Im talking about 100%... Im just trying to figure out how to attach the flow meter to the regulator. Would it attach where the bubble counter is currently? Replacing the means of flow measurement more or less? Im using the FZone Mini V3.0 Dual stage

·
Registered
799 Posts
This?

Camera lens Font Camera accessory Cameras & optics Liquid

Assuming yes, you want to attach the flow meter to the regulator where the needle valve is currently threaded in (red arrow). You will need a way to convert from the 1/8 threads of the regulator to the 1/4 threads of the meter. You can get a brass adaptor with 1/8 male threads on one side and 1/4 on the other. Home depot usually has a decent selection of these fittings.

You then want to attach the needle valve (circled in orange) to the outlet of the meter. Again, you will need to adapt the thread diameters.

You then attach the tube directly to the barb where the bubble counter was attached, after removing the black o-ring (green arrow). Note that you should slide the nut from the bubble counter (blue arrow) onto the tube before placing it on the needle valve. You can then use the nut to secure the tubing onto the output of the needle valve.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
This?

View attachment 1035508

Assuming yes, you want to attach the flow meter to the regulator where the needle valve is currently threaded in (red arrow). You will need a way to convert from the 1/8 threads of the regulator to the 1/4 threads of the meter. You can get a brass adaptor with 1/8 male threads on one side and 1/4 on the other. Home depot usually has a decent selection of these fittings.

You then want to attach the needle valve (circled in orange) to the outlet of the meter. Again, you will need to adapt the thread diameters.

You then attach the tube directly to the barb where the bubble counter was attached, after removing the black o-ring (green arrow). Note that you should slide the nut from the bubble counter (blue arrow) onto the tube before placing it on the needle valve. You can then use the nut to secure the tubing onto the output of the needle valve.
You are one amazing dude. Thank you so much for your help! I have been collecting a bunch of equipment to tidy up my cabinet as well as improve the pump/ filter and CO2 system.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You are one amazing dude. Thank you so much for your help! I have been collecting a bunch of equipment to tidy up my cabinet as well as improve the pump/ filter and CO2 system.
You're welcome! Don't forget to get some thread tape when you're at the hardware store ;)

41 - 49 of 49 Posts