The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 29g that is doing fine and growing alright, but not super fast. I have a pressurized CO2 with a GLA 50mm atomic diffuser.

I was gonna get a drop checker but everything I read says there are better ways of figuring out your CO2 level.

1.) pH/KH test. I read Tom Barr's article and used his chart. MY KH is 8 (consistently) and my pH is between 7.2 an 7.6 based on my liquid drop test kit. This puts me a little below the sweet spot on the chart. According to the chart I should have around a 7.1 to 7.3 pH.

I know this isn't really all that relevant but my bubbles per second is probably 6. I can't accurately count it.

2.) Use the fish test. I have Corys, an Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and some amano shrimp. So with this you're supposed to watch to se if your fish are jetting to the surface. Are Corys and Plecos gonna do this or is this not an accurate way to judge? Mine are not doing this but I thought maybe it is because they are bottom feeders.

Also, is watching how fast they are using their gills a good indicator or no? Mine always seem to be pumping their gills pretty good.

Any insight on this would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I would still get a drop checker. It's cheap and at a quick glance can give you an indication of where your co2 level is at. I felt the same way when I got my first one and felt I wasted money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts