The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am having a heck of a time finding measuring spoons here.

The smallest I can find is 1/4 teaspoon at the local Wal-Mart. Does anyone know where I can get some small ones down to maybe 1/32 here in canada?

I've been looking online for the past hour to see if I can at least order some.

Help please!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought some on ebay. The place I bought them from has more and they ship to Canada. Would you like me to look up the link?
That would be awesome. thanks.

Rex,
I have a gram scale, but it's only accurate to +- 0.1g.
so the spoons I would think is more accurate.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Not really. When you try to measure volumes that small it gets pretty hairy. Not to mention that some of the fractional measuring spoons are fractions of a TABLESPOON and not fractions of a teaspoon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rex I'll try with the gram scale.

My only thinking with the scale was the different weights of the nutrients. Do you think this will cause a problem?

For instance a pound of feathers has allot of volume, while a pound of rocks can occupy a small volume. Does that make any sense? lol

Thanks for the replys

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can apply that same way of thinking (feathers vs. rocks) to volume too, not just weight. If you get instructions by volume, then measure by volume, if you get instructions by weight, then measure by weight. Read Rex's guide, he has mentioned both. I would say that weight is easier to measure accurately.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I will use my gram scale. My wife will be happy, since I bought it I haven't used it. lol

Now I can put it to use. Only I want to get one thats accurate to 100th of a gram.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The humidity in the air will cause problems with a scale that is that accurate. The measuring spoons you wanted have an error factor of up to 33%. I think a 10th of a gram is plenty accurate.

Weight is MUCH more accurate than volume. That's my professional bakers (baking is a much more exact science than cooking) weigh their ingredients.

I remember as a kid watching my dad who was a bakery manager in a supermarket making bread. Now this is something he did 5-6 days a week. This was before the deluge of large commercial bakeries. Most bread that was bought was baked right in the store where you bought it. Dad baked on average of 500 loaves of bread a day. He could have made that dough with his eyes closed. But to insure a consistent product he weighed every ingredient every day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Rex, very informative as always!

:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts