The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a cheap 10 gallon Petco tank. For the first week or week and a half it seemed fine but now has started leaking about 1/2 gallon per day.

I guess my first question would be whether it's worth trying to repair a $15 ($10 on sale) tank or if it would be more cost/time effective just to replace it.

If I do decide to repair it, any tips for finding the leak or would I just need to take it all apart and redo all the joints?

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
I've never had much luck without redoing almost all the silicone. Seems the new doesn't stick to the old well enough. Considering the low price of tens, I would look for another rather than go through the process. But then I also admit that it was interesting to do. Just not something I would really want to do again. Glass is not my favorite thing to work and it just gives me more stress while wondering if it will come out.
Not against the process, but just not for me personally.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I throw very little away so...

If you can return, that would be option #1

If not...

Once the fish are out, a little food coloring in the water will possibly help you track the leak.
Turn off everything so the water is calm add a few drops and see where it goes.

I have used DAP all purpose 100% silicone with no problems.

I have resealed 10 or so tanks over the years.

If it were mine... I'd try to return it, if that didn't work, I'd redo the seals.
My seals tend to look better than factory anyway and I have the opportunity to use black or clear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I can't return it (which may be hard since I scrubbed off the glued on labels and can't find the receipt) I'll probably get a new one and maybe try breaking down the current one, cutting the glass and rebuilding it as a nano cube just as a learning experience.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I can't return it (which may be hard since I scrubbed off the glued on labels and can't find the receipt) I'll probably get a new one and maybe try breaking down the current one, cutting the glass and rebuilding it as a nano cube just as a learning experience.
Now THAT"S a great plan!

There's a whole slew of great YT videos on building tanks from scratch. As others have said, it's just not cost effective. You'd wind up with $30 invested in a bare 10G. But if you re-purpose the old one, that's the way to go in my book.

I bought a bunch of 10G's during the last Petco sale and got a clunker too. I re-purposed it into a bunch of glass tops for the others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.