The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've had this stand and canopy for over a year now! i've had the tank in the basement since oct. now i've got it upstairs (after bribing a few friends!) and can begin having fun!

it's nothing fancy, just an aga 180g rr but..

i'll be running 3x 175w se mh (bulbs to be determined--suggestions welcome)

one pump will be a closed loop running 500-1000gph, while another will pump from the basement at least 1000gph. these will be plumbed for low velocity output to prevent blowing the plants out of the tank! (still juggling on the pumps as well--danner vs. dolphin & iwaki)

i'll be teeing off my co2 i use for my reef tank (ca reactor).

in the basement i'll have a 75g tank for a sump. it will be drilled with an overflow plumbed to a drain to allow for auto wc's. these water changes will be a byproduct of my rodi use. the waste line will overfill the 75 as the typhoon III is used. i've been expertimenting with this for the last year and have had great growth with this "waste" water!

i can't wait to drill through the floor and get this sucker plumbed! :biggrin:

i've also been experimenting with some locally available riverbottom topsoil for substrate. i've been using it for ~9 months and have had great results. this will save me a ton of cash. instead of eco i'll be able to use this, which costs $2.99 for ~40lbs (2 sqft)!

as always, i welcome your suggestions and questions.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
A little 180, nothing fancy - haha! Have you checked out Turface Proleague as a substrate? One of the Mods uses it in a 120 gallon with great results. Check out Bill Harada's tank. Aqauria Photos: 120 Gallon Tank. I'm not sure of the cost, but I think it might be 10 or 12 bucks for 50lbs, maybe less. And its a calcined clay, very stable and clean. I am trying to find a local source for it. Its inert like flourite. Baseball fields use it for the in field running surfaces and mounds etc. BTW, your tank and stand - Nice setup!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

love the link!

i have checked on turface. i can get it within 2hrs for sure, a special order can get it within 30mins. i'm not sure i like the texture of it though (me being picky!). although, if all goes as planned, you won't see my substrate for long!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sounds like a great project. I don't know that I've ever heard of a sump being put on the floor below, though I'm sure someone's done it. Talk about a way to keep the area free of clutter!

I would make one suggestion though: Don't skimp too much on the substrate. I did when I set up my 120, and now I wish I'd have gone all out from the beginning. Once it's in there, it's a pain to change with something that big. And if you're going to go all out with everything else, may as well go all out on substrate.

What are your plans for plants/inhabitants?

I always love seeing big tank projects. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great equipment choice. As a recovering reefer, I recognize your approach. Straight for the basement sump and metal halides. No shop lights, soda bottle CO2, or canister filters :icon_wink. A buddy of mine has a tank plumbed to the basement and it really makes me wish I had a basement. Very convenient. What type of groundcover plants will you be using?

Ditto on the substrate. Be 100% sure on what you go with. I recently put flourite in a tank of mine simply because I had it laying around, but regretted it a couple weeks later. I decided to change to aquasoil and paid with an entire night's work (and my wallet, of course). Ugh.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts