The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just put in a GLA V2 on my 36 gallon, wanted to share!

All the pieces, two 24 oz PB tanks from Amazon, all the rest from GLA

all hooked up

topside - bubble counter is on the back of the tank now. All of this is pretty hidden from the front by that big Anubias

Here is the "Pearl" drop checker, I add this here because it is pretty :smile: and it might help someone else. I was trying to decide between this and the "Nano" (which sounds truly tiny, 3x3cm) and had a hard time finding a picture with something in it for scale (Didn't want something huge). All the stock photos are on a white background with nothing for reference.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Finally went pressurized Co2!

It is best to position the drop checker on the other side of the tank and not too close to the atomic diffuser...just a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is best to position the drop checker on the other side of the tank and not too close to the atomic diffuser...just a more accurate reading.
I was thinking about that, and you just made the decision easy, thanks! :)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Looks great Jeff!

Welcome to the high tech world! prepare yourself for some growth explosions!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little update, 2 weeks in. The unit seems to be holding a nice lowish bubble rate like I wanted, still not used to my tank looking like a glass of bubbly champagne :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmRaFQAV7wk

It can go a little slower than that, for those that asked how it was holding. I might slow it down just a little more.

The drop checker is holding at a nice emerald (darkish) green - would rather stay on the dark side to be safe than risk going to far into the yellow.

So far so good!

·
Registered
162 Posts
You do realize that CO2 is only one part of the fertilizing plan. I will not add much growth unless you are also adding K,P,N and micros. You will also need more light to handle the increased ferts.
BTW you have a pretty powerful canister there, you might want to switch to a inline CO2 reactor to eliminate the bubbles in your tank.
Also make sure your drop checker is using 4 deg KH water or you will be getting bad readings.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do realize that CO2 is only one part of the fertilizing plan. I will not add much growth unless you are also adding K,P,N and micros. You will also need more light to handle the increased ferts.
BTW you have a pretty powerful canister there, you might want to switch to a inline CO2 reactor to eliminate the bubbles in your tank.
Also make sure your drop checker is using 4 deg KH water or you will be getting bad readings.
Ferts are handled, Nilocg dry EI kit from here on the board. Was doing 50% of EI and glutaraldehyde, now that I have Co2 I am doing almost a full EI dose, weekly (ok, sometimes every 2 weeks) water change.

Looked into the in-line diffuser, doesn't worked with the ribbed Fluval tubing. Not really feeling it to rehose everything or build a reactor.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got the nano drop checker but man that pearl is a beauty might consider it soon. You might want to put it on opposite end of the diffuser. Btw what's in the jar in the second pic ferts? haha lmao :icon_eek: I too got the regulator v2 I love that thing it's on my 40 gallon at 3bps the 24oz canister lasts about 2 months

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad to hear things are going well!

How long did each of those tanks end up lasting you?
6 months on a tank! Changed it for the first time on Nov 1st.

Most people run at least 2 bps, that would be more like 3 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts