The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. So after a long time in the planted tank game, I find myself finally having success recently. I have had many tanks. In the majority of them, the plants never did anything or just turned to mush. Or both. But in my current tank, they are actually growing. Albeit slowly. My setup is a 33 long with plain caribsea sand around 1.5-2 inches in depth and a finnex stingray fixture. In my tank, I have rotala indica, crypt wendtii, parva and balansae, water sprite, madagascar lace plant and an amazon sword. I have seachem root tabs in the substrate and a couple times a week I do a few capfuls of seachem flourish and iron. In my previous tanks, I never did any dosing or anything like that. Just used eco complete, flourite, etc.

Could this be why I'm finally having success? That also coupled with my tank being so short for better light penetration even though my light isnt very strong. I have never done a tank this short before. Also... I have all guppies in the tank... They poop a LOT. Possibly adding to the ferts?

Years ago, I had a 56 tall, and I had really good success with it. Grew lots of crypts and rotala. But, I had eco complete and was dosing seachem I think. I havent done that since then until now.
What do you gather of this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I am not the best aquascaper though. I just throw stuff where I think it looks good. I know there's supposed to be techniques and patterns in which to arrange plants and all that... But I just don't care lol

It is definitely an enjoyable tank for sure! I lot of people on here love the 40B, but in my opinion, I would rather have a super long shallow tank. Especially if you have schooling fish. But that's just me.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I just throw stuff where I think it looks good.
Isn't that the basis of all "art"? Keep throwing! :)[/QUOTE]

I suppose so!

These crypts are planted too deep.
Well I havent had a problem so far? They have both sprouted new leaves. Sometimes my sand gets blown around in that area

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Where did you get them? It doesn't look like parva it looks more like Crypt Lucens, but since most of the plant (lol) is buried I can't be 100% sure.

Bump: Are those the original leaves? other than the new one. I guess maybe it's the emersed form, they look to big to be parva. It also looks like there's some color other than green on them, which is more typical of lucens.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I got them at Petco. I suppose it could be Lucens. And yes, none of the plant has melted. The few leaves in the middle are newer ones.
Wouldn't be surprised if they are mislabeled, many things are at the big box. I have Eleocharis parvula from petsmart that is 10" tall. I have Amano shrimp from Petco that don't look anything like Amano shrimp. Would also explain the quicker growth, but then again I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks! I am not the best aquascaper though. I just throw stuff where I think it looks good. I know there's supposed to be techniques and patterns in which to arrange plants and all that... But I just don't care lol
A long time ago, I took an evening course in landscape design (for residences). One of the techniques taught was to take a piece of paper and draw circles, randomly, in the area you wish to landscape. Then, wherever multiple circles intersect, you plant trees/shrubs of your choosing. I've since applied this to my tanks and it works quite well, but is not at all similar to the structured designs of award-winning tanks. Satisfy yourself or you will look like everybody else.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
A long time ago, I took an evening course in landscape design (for residences). One of the techniques taught was to take a piece of paper and draw circles, randomly, in the area you wish to landscape. Then, wherever multiple circles intersect, you plant trees/shrubs of your choosing. I've since applied this to my tanks and it works quite well, but is not at all similar to the structured designs of award-winning tanks. Satisfy yourself or you will look like everybody else.
Sounds interesting, care to show how you applied those techniques? It might be beneficial to others.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What are the dimensions of your tank ? I have a 30 long , but it does not look that long . Maybe it is the angle you took the pic .

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hello all. So after a long time in the planted tank game, I find myself finally having success recently. I have had many tanks. In the majority of them, the plants never did anything or just turned to mush. Or both. But in my current tank, they are actually growing. Albeit slowly. My setup is a 33 long with plain caribsea sand around 1.5-2 inches in depth and a finnex stingray fixture. In my tank, I have rotala indica, crypt wendtii, parva and balansae, water sprite, madagascar lace plant and an amazon sword. I have seachem root tabs in the substrate and a couple times a week I do a few capfuls of seachem flourish and iron. In my previous tanks, I never did any dosing or anything like that. Just used eco complete, flourite, etc.
I really like the dimensions. I would rather go long than high. More room for the fish to swim...

Any chance you could measure an post them?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are the dimensions of your tank ? I have a 30 long , but it does not look that long . Maybe it is the angle you took the pic .
My 33 long is 48x13x12. Basically a 55 gallon that is super short. 30 gallon long tanks are 36x12x16. So that is correct, not as long.

I really like the dimensions. I would rather go long than high. More room for the fish to swim...

Any chance you could measure an post them?
Yes, I really enjoy having a super long tank. I used to have a 40 breeder before this. And though it was a nice tank, I found in my personal experience, having a longer tank is much more enjoyable to watch smaller schooling fish in.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I think that the balansae will outgrow your tank. I have a few in my 210 and I think that they will soon outgrow that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.